What Exactly Did I Just Get? 1950s twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I aquired this twinset at the amazing price of $0. But I have no idea what in the heck I actually just got. They are going in for hydro on Tuesday.

Hard to be certain from the pictures, but it looks like 1/2 inch NPT manifold and 1 inch to 1/2 inch NPT bushings. I just put new 1800 psi burst disc assemblies into some 1/2 NPT post valves... they make them for paintball co2 cylinders.
@azstinger11 , if you decide you don't want to keep them, let me know. I have a 10 y.o. that these tanks are perfect for.

Hello. @azstinger11
I don't mean to downplay your find. They're very cool, and also very common.
They are Aviators Breathing Oxygen Cylinders. @James is correct. Walter Kiddie was typically designated as; WK & CO or WK
The marking preceding that was probably an inspection agency. Maybe Warnock Hersey? It's difficult to tell. There was an over surplus back then, and a lot of military personal could get them for free, and then source a manifold. U.S. Divers, and Dacor being very popular then. They are probably 48 Cubic tanks, and yes, they will have rounded bottoms.
Cheers.
Aviation Oxygen Cylinder Specifications - Aviation Oxygen, Aerox Oxygen, Cylinders, Masks, Portable Oxygen - Aviation Oxygen Repair, Overhaul, Maintenance - AviationOxygen.com

Hard to be certain from the pictures, but it looks like 1/2 inch NPT manifold and 1 inch to 1/2 inch NPT bushings.
I think you are right about the bushings, which is bad news, as DOT regulations prohibit tanks with bushings from being filled.

Also, these tanks are very buoyant when empty -- you'd have a carry a lot of lead.

Hello. @azstinger11
They are Aviators Breathing Oxygen Cylinders. @James is correct. Walter Kiddie was typically designated as; WK & CO or WK
The marking preceding that was probably an inspection agency. Maybe Warnock Hersey? It's difficult to tell. There was an over surplus back then, and a lot of military personal could get them for free, and then source a manifold. U.S. Divers, and Dacor being very popular then. They are probably 48 Cubic tanks, and yes, they will have rounded bottoms.
Cheers.
Aviation Oxygen Cylinder Specifications - Aviation Oxygen, Aerox Oxygen, Cylinders, Masks, Portable Oxygen - Aviation Oxygen Repair, Overhaul, Maintenance - AviationOxygen.com

As a medically retired USAF Navigator and grandson of a WW2 B-29 pilot that makes them even cooler!

I think you are right about the bushings, which is bad news, as DOT regulations prohibit tanks with bushings from being filled.

Also, these tanks are very buoyant when empty -- you'd have a carry a lot of lead.
I would love to see a reference for that statement... I have heard it repeated, but never with a reference. I have heard it refuted, but it's real hard to reference a negative (i.e. it isn't mentioned.
Not trying to be difficult or snarky, but genuinely want to know if you have a reference for it.
Respectfully,
James

bushings are being used in old scuba tanks in numerous instances, still passing hydro, and still being filled...

Had a set of these when i first started out in the late 70s in the UK. Mine came with 2 pillar valves and a single outlet "cheater bar". They even had USAF stamped on the neck with the hydro details also "born" in 1954. When I picked them up I was told they were "twin 56" cylinders. The bands (2) had slits in them that the chest/waist straps attached to so no backpack required.

Hello. @azstinger11
They are Aviators Breathing Oxygen Cylinders.

Why would an ABO cylinder be galvanized? Aren't most ABO cylinders 3HT rather than 3AA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom