What Fins to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. I have been using Thruster fins and I lost one today during a dive so I have to get a new set of fins. I have some back mobility issues which make it very difficult for me to put my fins on and especially difficult to get them off while in deep water at the surface. I have been keeping the heel strap kind of loose so as to make it easier to get them on and off which is the reason I lost one today. I am looking for fins that work very good and yet are easier to get on and off. I am hoping to find something in the $100 to $200 range. Any recommendations?

Gaffer

My vot is for the Mach II s the fin strap is easy to get a hold of makes removal effortless.
Just my 2 cents

Whatever fins you get, I'd consider retro-fitting them with some flavor of spring straps.

I was skeptical about them myself, until I tried them this year. The ones I got were the Innovative Ez Spring Fin Straps (attached image from scuba.com), because of their price and the large pad and loop in the heel.

Makes putting fins on and taking them off amazingly one-swoop simple. I'm a bit older, and though I don't have back problems per se, I find I'm getting -- um -- less flexible. These things are a hit.

I thought they'd be less comfortable than neoprene straps, but not so. And they're just as secure.

Make sure the straps you get are compatible with the fins you get. And pay close attention to the sizing instructions... about 1-1/2" shorter than the pin-to-pin distance around your heel with bootie is about right.

--Marek

Attachments

• 012067_big1.jpg
    012067_big1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 99
look into Force fins. the straps do nothing but keep the surf from pulling them off your feet. They are sell them with bungie straps (not stock) and are the easiest to pull on and off fins that I have ever tried.

The bungie looks weak, but trust me they are fantastic. Many places that stock them sell them with the regular strap as well as bungie out of the box, if you can't find them with the bungie, you can buy the bungie seperately.

Rob9000:
Aqualung blades have a quick release thing on the heel. You push down on the red lever thing and the strap unsnaps there.
http://www.aqualung.com/products/blades_2_flex.html

prd_blade_2_flex_ny.jpg

These are the exact same fins I have. I haven't had a a whole lot of experience with them but they're pretty nice. Its very convenient with the clip to take them off and get out of the water. Only thing that worries me is when that clip break, I'll have to switch to somethin else cause I haven't seen replacement straps for them anywhere. Guess it'll give me a chance to check out the spring straps everyone keeps raving about. They do take a little bit more leg muscle to use than the split fins that I used, but they require less kicks. But thats a whole other arguement in itself.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

I decided on Atomics Split Fins with the spring straps. I tried them on with my 7mm boot and liked the ease of grabbing the back loop and pulling them on. I have not had the chance yet to try them in the water though. Hope I like them.

Gaffer

old gaffer:
Thanks to everyone for the info!

I decided on Atomics Split Fins with the spring straps... Hope I like them.

Gaffer

I hope so too.

Would it have made any sense to TRY them before you bought them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom