What flash for Olympus E-PL5 in nauticam housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can someone advice me on the right flash for an Olympus E-PL5 in a nauticam housing?

I'm experienced in photography on land, but am just a beginning diver. Reading the forum I get the impression that the most popular models are the D2000, YSD1, and Z-240. The d2000 seems to be the cheaper one, though the price is no big concern to me. What is a concern to me is compatibility with multiple camera brands (now I use an E-PL5, but I may change to something bigger later on), functionality and ease of use.
As a beginning diver I'd like to take things easy, so I probably prefer the use of TTL for correct exposure, but manual should be an option.

what would be a good choice and why?

For future compatibility, go with the z240 or YS D1. The D1 is a bit cheaper and the Z240 in general is a bit more durable (but the jury is still out on the D1 since it is relatively new). Both are about the same power at the same beam geometries. If you dive a lot in cold water with gloves you might like the knobs on the D1 a bit better. Both have quite good ttl emulation but in my hands at least the z240 is a bit better in that regard but both are within a half stop
Bill

What if I had an olympus housing, instead of the nauticam housing, what optical cables should I use? Are they an industry standard?

The sea & Sea and Inon strobes are different on the strobe end and in some cases they are the same on the housing end. For a Nauticam DSLR they are different for Nauticam Mini (mirrorless camera) housings they are the same.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom