What form of air source redundancy?

What form of air source redundancy do you use when solo diving?

• Doubles

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • Single with an h or y valve and two 1st stages

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Single with a pony

Votes: 89 50.6%
  • Single with a Spare Air or other similar device

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Single alone ... no redundancy

Votes: 23 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big honkin doubles with Thermo -valves turn like butter - isolation manifold.

Stay within CESA depths or deeper, no Deco profiles unless profile exceeds NDL, and no overhead environments unless you count wrecks:)

O/W, Cavern - H-valve ( with Viton O-rings and a super duper magnum heavy duty burst disk)

Cave - Dbls. and al80 buddy bottle.

Personally, I have typically used single 130’s with pony, or twin 95's or 130’s with isolator and two 1st stages (and even 2 - AL80 side mounts with that set up on some Wreck or Deco dives).

But, have now ……(having seen the light) ……. moved up to an evolution rebreather. And although it gives me up to 5-6 hrs breathing time, I STILL carry at least a bailout bottle with separate reg, and enough gas to (within reason) hopefully solve an emergency and finish all stops without the CCR if nec.

Seems like a lot, but normally it is just a CCR and A40 (for all but wreck or extended deco dives). Smaller package than twins (lighter too) and 5-6 hrs of nitrox, custom mixed for whatever depth I’m at any time. Hard to beat that. It also reduces the risk if I do have to blow a stop in an emergency, due to the ultimate nitrox mixes.

Lately I've been using independent doubles, sidemounted.
I'll dive with manifolded doubles as well but I don't feel as safe like that.. what if the manifold fails?

I use an H valve on a single 130. If I dive below 60', I will also sling a 30cf pony.

I would never consider diving solo without real redundancy... and I do about 300 solo dives a year. I use a 19 cu ft pony and am considering a 30-40 cu ft for my deepest dives.

I do not consider H- or Y-valves to be redundant. Yes, I've had a first stage failure... but more importantly, I've had a clogged debris or dip tube in my primary tank. Try sucking air out of either reg when that happens (and it does). To be "safe" one needs truly redundant air sources like single tank and pony or doubles.

I do beach metal detecting in shallow water. Most of the time I just have to stand up and wade back to shore if I run low on air. For anything else under 60' I use a 19cf pony. I don't solo deeper than that. I also bring my pony if I'm diving with others below 60'.

I dive indy double 72's, whether I am solo or not.

DW

I use an H valve on a single 130. If I dive below 60', I will also sling a 30cf pony.

Thats exactly what I do, except I use a single steel 120.

Back
Top Bottom