What form of air source redundancy?

What form of air source redundancy do you use when solo diving?

• Doubles

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • Single with an h or y valve and two 1st stages

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Single with a pony

Votes: 89 50.6%
  • Single with a Spare Air or other similar device

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Single alone ... no redundancy

Votes: 23 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lately I've been using independent doubles, sidemounted.
I'll dive with manifolded doubles as well but I don't feel as safe like that.. what if the manifold fails?

What if a meteor falls from the sky and hits you while diving?

Steel 120 on the back and a Slung 30

Originally Posted by DeepBound
Lately I've been using independent doubles, sidemounted.
I'll dive with manifolded doubles as well but I don't feel as safe like that.. what if the manifold fails?
What if a meteor falls from the sky and hits you while diving?

Well there's nothing I can do about a meteor, and then it won't be my fault. If I die while diving, I'd rather it not be due to something I could have prevented.

Also if I hear bubbles coming from somewhere when I'm diving sidemount, I don't have to consider the possibility that it's my manifold and that I have only a minute or so to live :wink: It's more relaxing that way.

I sling an AL40 for redundancy. If diving a single rig, I keep the dive to 40 feet or shallower. If going below that, I'll dive doubles plus the AL40.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I sling an AL40 for redundancy. If diving a single rig, I keep the dive to 40 feet or shallower. If going below that, I'll dive doubles plus the AL40.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Teaser! :D

Until recently all my dives solo or otherwise were done with a 10ltr 300bar twinset, (steel cylinders), and carrying a minimum of a 5ltr side slung filled either for deco or independant air source dependant on type of dive I am doing.

(Rough conversion I think is twin 80's blown to 4000Psi with an AL40 3000Psi as a side slung.)

However now I have gone over to a Inspiration Classic Rebreather I wont be doing any solo diving on that for a long time but I will still be carrying a minimum of the 5ltr/AL40 as OC Bailout in case of any problems, (ie CO2 hit), that cant be fixed underwater or to hand off to my buddy if they need it in an emergency.

I don't dive solo so I can't really answer, the best I can say is that if I did dive solo, doubles would be my choice.

I recently tested a SpareAir with the intention of using it for shallow dives (i.e. CESA conditions).

The test was not exactely an out-of-air simulation. I just took the SpareAir with me in a normal dive (i.e. not solo - not stress situation) at a depth greater than normal, trying to see "how long" it would last for.

Result : In about 2 minutes, moving down from 30 to 37m, it delivered 9 average breaths. At 37m there was no more air coming out, however, when I checked it again close to the surface, I was able to draw a few additional breaths (like it says in the theory books).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom