What form of redundant Gas supply is preferred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bartman69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all. I've known for a long time that I would be joining the ranks of Solo Divers at some point. I'm getting to the comfort level where it's getting close to be a reality. I've got some classes scheduled here in the next couple months to get myself to where I want to be. This is by no means a Troll post or anything like that. I value the input of all the Solo Divers in this section. Even the ones that seem to be a Jack*** have contributed some good info in the years I've been reading this section. So the question is:

What is your preferred form of redundancy? Independant doubles, manifolded doubles, Mounted Pony Tank, Slung Pony or anything else that I haven't yet thought of...

Thank you in advance

Spare Air is better than nothing :popcorn:

I currently dive ST72 independant twins.
I sometimes also dive a small (19cuft.) pony with my vintage rig or when I'm experimenting.
I used to dive a larger (30cuft.) pony/single tank.
I have used manifolded doubles in the past.

Everybody has an opinion on which system is better but I feel all systems are valid if one understands the benefits and drawbacks and adjusts for the type of dives one is doing. For me, I appreciate the larger gas capacity of doubles plus the fully redundant nature and adaptability of independant twins. They serve my type of diving well.

Northern California single tank recreational diver.

No redundant air supply other than surfacing if need be when diving solo.

I freedive more than SCUBA as I get older.

Northern California single tank recreational diver.

No redundant air supply other than surfacing if need be when diving solo.

I freedive more than SCUBA as I get older.

Ex NorCal diver here. Use to dive folsom lake alot. Ahhh the good ole days

The best AAS would be doubles, either manifolded or independent. The problem is that most people end up using them to extend the dive instead of as an emergency reserve. Next would be a pony. I prefer slung for valve access and ease of removal. Size of pony should be determined by your SAC, work load SAC, and depth of planned dive.

Yeah, true, a spare air is better than nothing. The problem with thier tiny size is that at even typical rec depths, its very possible to run out of air with that. They are basically a CESA tool. If you want to make a normal surface profile you need bigger.

With the caveat that I keep my solo dives shallower than 60 feet, and I stay well within no-decompression limits... I usually dive with a slung 19cf pony. However, I do plan on getting a slung 40 for the extra safety margin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom