What happened to the Looney birds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mark! I was going to give you a call soon about diving later this month or in July. This month is filling up quickly. I have a wedding to go to soon and some other things to attend to. It would have to be toward the end of the month or in July.
A friend of mine just moved to the Bent Tree area near Lake Tamarack in the Jasper area. He's not a diver, but he say's the water is cleaner and clearer than Lanier. He used to live in the Cumming area near Lanier. I checked out the Bent Tree web site and it says they have 85ft ofdepth. But I think all they allow is electric motors. I may check it out some time in the next month or so.

John

Let me know when you are ready to go,I still need to get the boat cleaned up and ready to go,tanks are filled and gear is ready. I have been talking with a friend of mine for a few years about going up Burton and seeing if We can find the old town of Burton that was covered when they filled the lake in the 1920s,I have a map of the lake that shows where it is,not sure of the depths but it shows near where the river comes into the lake so shouldn't be too deep. I want to do a dive on Lanier soon along the dam to knock the rust off,what I call a bunny dive.

That's ironic about Lake Burton. I grew up near there in the 60s in the summer time. My dad was born the year the Lake was built in 1922 and all his brothers sisters and mother and dad lived up there in the summer time back in the 20s and 30s. My dad was a fishing guide up there when he was a boy.
My wife's mother was from Rabun county and my wife still owns property up there in Dillard. I dove once in Burton back in the early 90s near the swimming area over near Charlie mountain. about the same vis as Lanier.
I was out there a few years ago. Back in 2009 I think, there was a terrible drought and the marina areas were just mud around the docks for at least a hundred yards away until you got to the water. I don't know how they are now.

Looking forward to meeting up with you on the 28th of this month to do a "bunny dive" at Lanier.

Hay guys how are all of you ? the lake (Lanier) is warming up and the viz is good below 30' above viz is like 3' but you drop down below 30' and it starts opening up to over 20' . last week we dropped down to 75' and the viz was real good 30'+ and if you turned your light off you could still see 10' past that it was dark temps at 88' is up to 48*,49*you guy need to join us some time at Lower Over Look. know that the lake at up we enter the water out at the point. a lot easier entry now check out my Face book group Lake Lanier Divers

the link is at the bottom in my signature

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom