What happens if a battery compartment floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have resurrected a flooded dive computer battery compartment from salt water by flushing the compartment with fresh water (actually a bit of a soak) then carefully and thoroughly cleaning the compartment and contacts. After drying we inserted a new battery and it was good to go. So just compartment was affected.

Kills the computer. There is a thread here from about 2 months ago.

We have resurrected a flooded dive computer battery compartment from salt water by flushing the compartment with fresh water (actually a bit of a soak) then carefully and thoroughly cleaning the compartment and contacts. After drying we inserted a new battery and it was good to go. So just compartment was affected.
On a shearwater?

May depend on computer. I flooded an Aeris in SaltWater after I did my own battery change. Air Tech resurrected the computer and I use it for several more years. They did essentially what ColoDale said.

My Bad. Missed that this was the Shearwater forum.

Last edited:
This thread is in the shearwater forum so is that what we are talking about?

RayfromTx - you are correct. Different brand for the fix for us. Not Shearwater. My fault.

The computer might be salvageable if it was fresh water. I've had plenty of flooded electronics come back to life after immersion in fresh water. You're unlikely to revive it from a salt water flood.

Shearwater has stated in another thread that the battery compartment is not isolated in their computers. If you search for the thread, they even shared why they made that particular design decision.

One of the problems with any battery+saltwater flood is it often initiates electrolysis that seriously corrodes and eats up the electrodes. That's in addition to whatever other damage it makes.

One of the problems with any battery+saltwater flood is it often initiates electrolysis that seriously corrodes and eats up the electrodes. That's in addition to whatever other damage it makes.
If you've got a lithium battery in the computer when it floods, you're probably going to be having a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom