What happens when you purchase PADI Ecard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucifer911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey guys,

really debating buying this but put off by the $59 AUD price.
Does it come with some barcode or QR code and is sent to your email with JPG photo?

or does it auto download into PADI library after you login again?

All my cards lost onntheir way so Ecard is nice. You need to download Padi app. (PADI Mobile Apps | PADI) then when you purchase the ecard , you choose Padi ecards section and fill in your account/password then it works. It is a nice app , you can log your dives with location etc.

Alsi it explaine here check it out.

eCard FAQ | PADI

"
How do I download my card?
Before purchasing your PADI eCard, make sure you've downloaded the PADI App. Your device should be be running Apple iOS 6.x (or higher), Android 2.3 (or higher). You can download the PADI App from PADI App.

Once downloaded and installed, purchase your eCard(s), then launch the PADI App, select PADI eCards, then Update. Enter the username and password that you used when purchasing your eCard."

In my opinion these PADI e-cards is a biggest rip-off. When you get certified they give you an option to used e-card free of charge for 1 month.... and then ask you to pay AUD 59 for that. They are incurring zero costs but asking to pay you quite significant amount of money. Also, it is possible to check your certification on line. So, thes e-cards is just waste of money.

In my opinion these PADI e-cards is a biggest rip-off. When you get certified they give you an option to used e-card free of charge for 1 month.... and then ask you to pay AUD 59 for that. They are incurring zero costs but asking to pay you quite significant amount of money. Also, it is possible to check your certification on line. So, thes e-cards is just waste of money.
I think it is very expensive too. But my actual card lost while on post, so I needed a card (my country regulations) so I thought it is better option than pay for another card because it might get lost or I may be not at home by the time it came and send back. But for sure it is a rip-off.

yeah big ripoff for sure. They should include the ecard with your course cost and have the card as an optional expense because it actually costs money to produce a card unlike the ecard
Totally agree with it,they should give everyone e-card free, and if you lose your printed card , you will have to order again, well most places does not mind but sometimes here coast guards check the boats.. better to have one for me at least.
But if you have a card and does not need I think it is too much money for e-card, does not worth in my opinion.

Just snap/store a picture of your physical card on your phone...ta-da you now have an e-card.

yeah I've done that... but I've heard the ecard has a QR code so a dive shop can easily scan it to see if its legit. I think this was done because people can photoshop themselves on a PADI card and say its them.

Urban myth. I really doubt anyone is going to photoshop themselves on a card. Not when you can buy one from China for a couple bucks.

What if someone doesn't want their photo on a card. I've had that happen and had students that did not or would not provide a real email address. They didn't want spammed by the agency. Not my place to deny them a card.

If your picture is on your actual physical card and you store it in your phone, why would it be questioned? What you heard sounds like an attempt to extort additional fees from you.

What you could also do is pull up your free e-card on a desktop, take a screen shot of it using a snip it tool or similar ap, save the photo, load into your phone. Voila! It has the supposed QR code and all the other info.

PADI cards have the diver info on one side and the certification level on the other side.

Since you can only photo one side at a time, this is scammable. Shops really shouldnt accept this but as Jim said above there are dozens of ways to scam cards if you want to.

Of course the issue lies with PADI not putting all the info on one side. They are trying to prevent you from doing photo backups so you have to pay if you lose a card.

Back
Top Bottom