What if...? Dive Planning & Trust Me Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

* What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?

Signal 'abort dive' (thumbs up) and ascend alone.

Any diver has the right to abort any dive, at any time, for any reason.

* What would you do if the DM leading your boat dive went into a cave or other overhead environment?

If this wasn't a planned and prepared element of the dive, I would signal 'Stop' (flat palm) and indicate that the dive should continue outside of the overhead environment.

If the DM/guide/group all entered the overhead environment and I was left alone outside, then I would abort the dive and ascend.

* What would you do if your buddy inexplicably descended deeper (100+ fsw) than the two of you had discussed during pre-dive planning?

I would signal to ascend and draw their attention to the depth. If they ignored this, I would assume nitrogen narcosis and intervene for safety to physically lift them shallower.

* What would you do if your buddy wanted to go diving but you weren't comfortable with the dive conditions (high surf, current, low vis, rough seas, etc.)?

I would decline to go diving unless I was 100% comfortable with all elements of the dive.

* What would you do if your buddy gave you "the thumb" on the dive but everything seemed like it was OK?

I would respect their decision to abort the dive and ascend safely with them; monitoring them closely as they might need assistance, depending on what the issue was.

* What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?

I would hope that the DM goes with the buddy and gets him to come back, I would then give the DM my pony bottle and I would turn back alone. DM+buddy would probably need that pony more than me at that point... If the DM was the one that moved forward on their own - I would signal my buddy to turn with me - that guy is on his own. I don't care what the DM says back at the surface - he was stupid for breaking the plan when he knew better. If you break the dive plan you will end up solo. I'm not about that life.

* What would you do if the DM leading your boat dive went into a cave or other overhead environment?
90% of my dives are caves but if going in the overhead was not part of planning topside - I'm not going in, I probably don't have my overhead gear on anyway... I'm not going anywhere near that if I don't have full gear on. I mean I probably could go in with no lights in a silt out and come back alive but who wants to risk it .... so stupid.

I assume that if we did not talk about it topside - none of the divers will be prepared for it and someone will start up some super crazy silt out. If I'm not purposely making a silt out - I don't want a silt out. I'll wait outside :)

* What would you do if your buddy inexplicably descended deeper (100+ fsw) than the two of you had discussed during pre-dive planning?

Signal them a few times if they respond and don't come up then:

This dive is now a solo dive. Good Luck. If we did not plan on going to 100+ then we are probably not prepared. No Thanks. I'll stay above them though ... just in case.

If they do not respond:

Try to get them to come back up ... might have to swim down there and help them ... it would depend.

* What would you do if your buddy wanted to go diving but you weren't comfortable with the dive conditions (high surf, current, low vis, rough seas, etc.)?

I would have to politely decline his off to die. There's always tomorrow.

* What would you do if your buddy gave you "the thumb" on the dive but everything seemed like it was OK?

They could of just got excited and accidentally thumbed up however:
You give them the "everything ok? signal" and then if they say no:
If my buddy wants to thumb the dive - we thumb the dive. They don't need a reason. Back to the surface we go!!!!

The following post is one of a series of threads resulting from a collaboration between [user]Bubbletrubble[/user] and myself.
We have divided the What if...? idea into a series of topics and posted the main thread as a sticky here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...514-what-if-what-do-when-things-go-wrong.html

Please Read The Following Bullet Points Carefully!
  • Our intent for this discussion is to get newer divers thinking, not spoon feed them the answers.
  • We're going to ask that the more experienced divers don't just jump in with responses to every scenario.
  • Instead, we want this to be a two part exercise for newer divers by doing the following:
    • Quote a given scenario and
    • (1) discuss what they would do given the situation
    • (2) talk about how to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.
  • Then the more experienced divers can give follow up comments on insights on those answers.
Anyone is encouraged to a post new scenario for discussion, but please follow the instructions above when answering and keep it relevant to the topic.

Dive Planning & Trust Me Dives
What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?
In the scenario where the DM ignores me having reached turnaround pressure I would try to notify them again and then if they didn't respond I would ascend, preferably with my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom