What inspired you to start diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is kind of a poll I'm taking to find out if there's a common denominator on how and why people start diving. I want to know what you saw, heard, or what it was exactly that planted the seed in your mind to become a diver. This is not an official poll, rather something I just have an interest in personally.

I'll start.

I grew up in Monterey California back in the early 60's. We used to go to the beach quite often because my parents were european and the real outdoorsy type. We were either at the beach or hiking somewhere in the wilderness every weekend. My mom however was terrified of water and never let me body surf or get in the water past my knees.

One day we were at Carmel river beach and I watched a guy swim in on the surface in full scuba gear and get out of the water. I vividly remember the chrome 2nd stage and the metal backpack he was using. I realized later from memory that it was probably a Conshelf or Dacor and a Voit snug pack. He was a tall guy, about 45 years old, skinny, in excellent shape. All the kids ran up including me and started asking all sorts of questions, "Hey mister, what do you see down there, what's that for, ever see a shark?". Skin divers and scuba divers were considered really cool back then and anybody that could do that and brave the cold and all the sea monsters was a real hero in our minds. Like a real life GI Joe. I remember the long knife he had on his belt. He told us about all the cool stuff down there and told us a few harrowing stories, probably for our enjoyment. This was about 1966.

A few years later Jacques Cousteau had his show on TV and I remember thinking how cool it would be to be able to do that. I never saw Sea Hunt, that was a few years before my time, unfortunately.

Fast foreward to about 1973. My mom gets remarried to a guy who has a boat moored at the Monterey Marina.
He takes us out almost every weekend to go ocean fishing for rock fish and whatever else. That opens up a whole new world that I never would have participated in otherwise. I am now hooked on fishing and love to be out on the ocean on a boat. I loved everything about it, the fresh salt air, the birds and the mystery of what was beneath the waves.

Early 90's. I was married with a kid and was living in Sonoma County. The ocean is much more remote and wilder than Monterey but offers some good fishing off the rocks. I take up shore fishing again to get away from the wife for a few hours a few times a month. While I'm out there I see abalone divers coming in with their tubes and abalone. Mmmm Yumm Abalone! I flash back to the diver coming out of the water in 1966.

Next thing I know I look up all the dive shops around my area and start shopping for skin diving gear so I can be part of this abalone diving thing. I get all the stuff and happen to know a few guys that are into it, so I start going out to the ocean with them. As stuff get's lost or I need something better I start hanging out at the LDS more and more. Next thing you know I'm checking out the regs and other stuff and getting nauseous looking at the price tags. But after acclimating to what everything costs and what's involved I sign up for open water. They tell me it will only improve my freediving so that's what sold it (A line of BS but it worked) There was no online gear stores, everybody went to their local dive shop, paid the price and that's how it was. The dive shop was a center of activity then and I started meeting more people who went in there. I talked to many good people and had a lot of fun standing around waiting for a tank to be filled.
Class after class got me up to DM and I did some tech stuff too.

I've come full circle. Now I dive just like that guy I saw coming out of the water in 1966.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always grew up around a pool or lake here in Az. Always loved the water, my parents couldn't keep me out of the pool, even in December. I could swim like a fish and hold my breath for almost 2 minutes as a kid.

Got older and moved out of my parents house but never had a pool anywhere I lived on my own, still don't. Better yet, I have a boat and access to the lake anytime I want now.

I have a bunch of friends who had been hassling me about needing to learn to dive, just never had the money. Finally made the time and funds to learn to dive and I've never looked back. I did it to shut up my buddies, never knowing it would have this effect on me.

I love it and very much plan on doing it forever. Once I find a sport that I'm this passionate about, I'll do it as much as I can. I skip meals out at lunch to save for air fills for the weekend.

The ocean waves every night in La Jolla, CA. Steps from the beach. A reef with Lobster and Abalone just offshore. Good instruction-five open water dives in the basic OW course, after weeks of pool and classroom work, and another 50 dives in the next six months, taking AOW, rescue, night dive, etc.

Aging ... I promised my (then) wife that if she'd buy me scuba lessons I'd give up hurting myself regularly trying to keep up with guys half my age on a basketball court.

Started OW class on my 49th birthday ... haven't picked up a basketball since (I have picked up about 35 lbs, though) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The ocean waves every night in La Jolla, CA. Steps from the beach. A reef with Lobster and Abalone just offshore. Good instruction-five open water dives in the basic OW course, after weeks of pool and classroom work, and another 50 dives in the next six months, taking AOW, rescue, night dive, etc.

What was the trigger that inspired you to take that first step? Was it the ocean calling, or did you see something or hear something that sent you into the dive shop to sign up.

Aging ... I promised my (then) wife that if she'd buy me scuba lessons I'd give up hurting myself regularly trying to keep up with guys half my age on a basketball court.

Started OW class on my 49th birthday ... haven't picked up a basketball since (I have picked up about 35 lbs, though) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why scuba? Why not bicycling or something else?
I'm trying to get into your head and see exactly what it was that made you choose scuba. That's the point of this exercise.

I rememebr as a kid in the early 70's watching my fathers friend dive for a lost prop off of their boat in Lake Powell and thinking wow that is so cool and there was always the influence of watching JYC on TV.
Living in Utah I didn't think that much of it until 1979 when a dive store opened up in the next town. Fast foward to 1983, I was on a date with this 'hottie' and she was already a diver and needed to stop by a dive store and talk with the owner about a class. OK you have may attention. While she was talking with the Owner/Instructor, I was up front signing up for OW. I think it was the [-]ultimadum[/-] conversation 'If you want to date me, you need to be a diver' that really inspired me. :rofl3:
Twenty five years later she's still a hottie and I fund five divers gear instead of one. It's all been worth it, every penny.

Why scuba? Why not bicycling or something else?
I'm trying to get into your head and see exactly what it was that made you choose scuba. That's the point of this exercise.

Pure chance ... we were walking out of the Y (well, she was walking ... I was limping) and she was giving me grief for hurting myself again. Told me to find something safer to do. I looked up and there on the wall was a sign that said "LEARN TO SCUBA DIVE". As it happened, the class started on my birthday. So on an impulse I said "Buy me scuba lessons and I'll give up basketball".

It never occured to me that she'd take me seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom