What inspired you to start diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is going very good so far.
As some of you may have figured out, what I'm trying to do is see if there is a pattern or most common reason why people become divers.
So far childhood exposure through TV shows, parents or other family members seems to be the leading reason for what triggers people to become divers.
I saw a few "completely by accident" responses, a few respondents saw a poster or add.
Some by surprise by a gift, and several by a vacation impulse.

I hope more people respond. I'd like to actually talley up the responses in categories to see where and how most people get the bug.

Hey DEMA, I hope you're taking notes!
I'm actually floored by the lack of folks here who started Scuba to get fish. It was *the* reason to Scuba along the Gulf coast in the 60's & early 70's...
Rick

I'm actually floored by the lack of folks here who started Scuba to get fish. It was *the* reason to Scuba along the Gulf coast in the 60's & early 70's...
Rick

That's part of the reason I started, the other part was just because I thought it was cool.
We have to realize that there's only about 50 responses to this thread so far on SB out of how many divers on Earth?

I don't know for sure, I just always knew I wanted to dive. Growing up I had allergies that seriously affected my sinuses, so my Mom being a Nurse gently let me down on the dream several times. As an Adult, I outgrew my allergies (or maybe just moved away from them!) so as a College Graduation gift to myself I met with a Doc to get checked out and he told me there was no reason I couldn't dive. I then got certified. Ha Ha Mom! As I type this, I'm still high as a kite from the two night dives I did tonight. I honestly cannot imagine life without diving. There is no doubt in my mind I was meant to dive and it was just a matter of the timing becoming right. Dive Dive Dive!!!!!!

What inspired me? Sights like this:

0236.jpg

NOW THAT IS INSPIRING!!

Oh I forgot to mention the cave diving video that was sent to me by some SB person & got me hooked on the current new pursuit :). Ah, maybe someday.

Where is this? Is that you?

Last edited:
Simple...........Lobster

and Biscayne Bay where I learned to ski on 1970 skis. We parked the boat at the marina, I took a mask and snorkle and went down and saw all the lobsters I could ever eat but couldn't get them

I can't remember the marina name but I do remember Fowey Reef, French and Molassess

Now I'm back after US Diver backpacs, harness's(or is that es) , and horseshoes

I then said........Dad can we shoot these?

Response: No but I'll show ya how soon

I was around water all my life: my dad was a champion water skier when he was a teen and I learned how to water ski at age 5. He also loved to fish and we would frequently take fishing trips out in the Gulf Bay. I always loved swimming in fresh water but what's weird is that I refused to get into the water in Galveston. There's just something unsettling about not being able to see your toes when you're standing in 6 inches of water. Gross. Anyway, it wasn't until I became an adult and received a cruise gift certificate for my Master graduation (2005) that I actually saw CLEAR, BLUE WATER. I can remember standing on the dock in Cozumel just staring at the beautiful water, amazed that I could actually see fish! I took a submarine ride while in Coz and we saw a scuba diver which piqued my interest. Then my boyfriend at the time moved to Nevis and I was able to visit him every few months so I took up snorkeling. Pretty soon, I grew frustrated that I couldn't hold my breath nearly long enough to see what all I wanted to see while snorkeling so I planned a trip to Bonaire, got certified, and then got hooked. I dive everywhere now: missile silos, rivers, lakes, ocean, wherever there is a body of water.
Funny how zero viz doesn't bother me at all when I'm diving but I STILL won't get in the water in Galveston. (For all you Galveston vacationers- I don't know any locals who actually get in the water there.)

begin :hijack:
... but I STILL won't get in the water in Galveston...
Something about Houston, waste water treatment, effluent, fecal coliform count, vibrio.... little things like that, most likely.
:)
Rick
:hijack: end

As I recall it was partly Sea Hunt, partly the chance to try something exciting, that no one else I knew had ever done. Partly a simple desire to see what was under the water, and explore.
Last evening my daughter and I met Fabien Cousteau, and enjoyed his presentation for our local club, going from his grandfather's first dives in the 30's, with a short movie they made then, :)shocked2:, talk about breaking the safety rules :popcorn:), to a new video presentation from their recent dives with Humpbacks.

It seems looking back that many things combined, like those Sea Hunt episodes, stories in magazines I had read about exploring ship wrecks full of riches, and the great movies by Fabien's grandfather Jacques, all drawing me to try diving back in 69/70, when I was a teen, looking for something new and exciting.

I did it because my husband told me to.

Seriously.

I got tipsy at an auction and bought a trip to Australia, and on the way home, my exasperated husband said, "Well, if we are going to Australia, you HAVE to learn how to dive." And I said, "Yes, sir."

It was something I'd idly thought about before -- when I was a kid, the brother of the lady next door was in the Navy and dove, and would come home with great photographs, and I always thought it looked like fun. But it wasn't high on the agenda until after the auction.

So it was the booze that got you hooked! I've heard of it causing marriages, pregnancies, divorces, etc,. Hey it;s all good though right. You could have bought a trip to the North Pole and you guys would be freezing your butts off dogsledding!

For me it was Sea Hunt and Cousteau. But it took til I was 44 to do it. Two divorces, two kids, and finally a woman who encourages me to do whatever I can to get me to drop the cash for the initial classes. 5 years later it is no longer a hobby, sport, or pastime, it is a lifestyle. Everything I do including my "real job" is about diving and having the means to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom