What is a good editing software for an amateur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brocnizer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought the S90 and housing and it should be in 2 weeks from now.

Now, to edit the raw images, which is the best software to purchase? I am not computer stupid, but at the same time I have never used a photoshop type program other than GIMP for minor photo adjustments.

It (S90) comes with a disc with some good software for RAW images etc.

PhotoshopCS4 and Photoshop Elements are most common it seems.

The camera itself, like most, has a JPEG processing engine in it that seems rather useful, especially since it corrects the f2.0 lens barrel distortion.

N

Last edited:
I ususally use Adobe Lightroom, it doesn't have full editing capabilities but it does what I want to do with a photo and also catalogs it!

And if you also have adobe photoshop, its all integrated :wink:

I use Picasa, although it's reasonably basic, it's free and does most of what I need to do. The auto adjust is actually very good at cleaning up/minimizing backscatter.

I used Paint Shop Pro for years due to the relatively low price. Problem is the learning curve - not much is written and I've never found a class to attend. I finally threw in the towel and switch to Photoshop, primarily due to available resources. Lots of help available on-line, lots of books specialized to working with photos, and lots of classes available. I took a couple of Adult Ed classes at a local community college for $60 each. Had a great instructor and was able to purchase the software at student rates. Hard to beat that... Paint Shop Pro performs similar tasks in fewer keystrokes, but Photoshop has become the industry standard and support abounds.

If you're not framiliar with photo editing programs there are several options to learn. WetLens mentions classes, which are good. There are also plenty of books allong the lines of "Photoshop for the digital photographer," as well as many websites with tutorials.

I would recommend at least trying a photoshop product such as edit photos, photo editing program | Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 The Elements edition is cheaper and will cover most of what you would want to do. Note that Adobe offers 1-month trials of most of their software, should you want to check it out before buying.

I use PS Elements 5.0 & Picasa 3, the latter is free & not too bad either-------see 2 of my picture links in my sig below, all pics without an ext. strobe......

Photoshop CS4.....loads of great features for amateur through pro....Do a search on Craigslist and I'm sure some reasonably priced ones will show up....
Be aware though that if it's on Craigslist and the price is too good to be true, it is probably not a valid copy of Photoshop CS4. It will work the first time, but may not the second time. There are many many scams out there for really expensive software like Photoshop CS4 ($800+). Doesn't matter if it is shrinkwrap. Make sure you buy from someone you trust or use paypal.

As a current user of Photoshop CS4, I can recommend starting with Photoshop Elements as a good place to get 90% of what you will need for a more reasonable cost. Another alternative that I like and have used for years is Paint Shop Pro although their RAW support is not as extensive as Adobe Photoshop.
Whatever you choose plan on spending some time to learn about layers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom