• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What is a good, small boat?

Discussion in 'Boats and Boating' started by Jake, Mar 8, 2019.

1. grf88

grf88 Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have a 15.5 ft Avon inflatable with a 40 HP outboard. It is cramped with 4 divers with 2 tanks each but workable. I have had 4 divers and a pilot but we only had 1 tank each on that trip. Normally we dive 2 people at a time while the other 2 gear up which makes things easier. The large tubes on the Avon make it very stable.

2. cerich

cerich In Goats We Trust Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    look at the big Whaly RIB style boat, tougher than inflatable, less maintenance and all the positive qualities of a RIB

3. lowlysubaruguy

lowlysubaruguy Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You should try and find a dive club and get on a few boats. 4 divers and gear is a challenge in some boats. 21 feet is about where I think you need to start to dive with 5 on board even if only 4 of them are divers.

Do a little math before getting on these boats. At the end of your dives pitch in double what you think you should in cash and effort and youll soon find you are welcome aboard any Boat you get on and you may find you either dont need a boat or you have had enough boating diving experience to know exactly what you want or need to buy and youll probably also have an idea how much its really going to cost you.

Ana likes this.
  4. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

That's great advice.

I don't think is possible to find out you don't need a boat, that would be blasphemy. Like flamingos, everybody needs them. ....but it is possible to decide you don't want to deal with one of your own, or most likely to better define what you want on a boat and, just as important what you don't want.

Nicolas Pottier likes this.
  5. DreadnoughtNH

DreadnoughtNH Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    C-Dories are great less expensive boats for diving. Tough, good in a sea, easy to maintain.

The Parker 'sport cabins' (Sport Cabin - Parker Boats) are my personal choice for similar reasons. The fact that they don't come up often (and disappear quickly) on the used market should tell you something. They have a lot of deck space, and are laid out simply.