• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What is a good, small boat?

Discussion in 'Boats and Boating' started by Jake, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Jcp2

Jcp2 Nassau Grouper

Cheaper than downhill skiing, more expensive than golf.

2. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  3. chrisch

chrisch Solo Diver

That is some journey. I live on the south coast of England, six hours and you would be in the French city of Lyon. Typical boat time here is 20 minutes in a RIB or maybe 30 in a hardboat (20 knots max). My usual dive is 15 minutes each way and an hour bottom time. The longest part of the day is the drive to the marina.

4. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

Just like with diving, boating is different for everyone. It depends on your geographical location, laws in the area, cost and availability of charters, individual situation.

I shake my head when I hear people repeating the "First happiest day is when you buy a boat and the 2nd happiest day when you sell it" or "the best boat is your friend's"

If I ever have to sell my boat is because I messed up financially and can't afford it or I'm too old/sick to use it. Both events will be cause for mourning on my part.

I love my boat, I used it yesterday and the day before and had a blast both days. I couldn't dive yesterday because the seas were too big to make it enjoyable but just the ride out made for a memorable day. We went out the inlet got close tot he dive site and stop a little before getting the suit on. My husband and I looked at each other and realize it was going to be work to deal with the seas, made a U turn and starting a lazy ride back home.

Owning a boat may be the wrong thing if you buy a crappy boat full of issues, can't maintain it properly, or if you have to keep it on a trailer but ramps are not your thing, or the charters around have great price/schedule/space.

For me, having our 23' Parker in the canal behind the house is almost as good as winning a big lottery. Once every year or 2 I wish I could have a bigger boat to fit 6 divers instead of a maximum of 4, but that feeling passes real quick. Even when we would welcome a diver or two, the few friends we have are not available as often as we like to dive.

DavidFL and IncreaseMyT like this.
  5. chrisch

chrisch Solo Diver

This is an important consideration. Like you I enjoy boats and see the advantage of having one of your own (just not a small one) but the critical issue is having a group of people you like to dive with that are willing and able to dive with you and share boat duties. 4 people is a good base number and 23 foot is a good size boat.

Ana likes this.