What is a logged dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Lorenzoid. That's kind of what I figured I would hear.

Just based on what I hear and see. I'm not an instructor.

Personally, I would not log swimming pool dives in my logbook. Seems like I have seen some role of thumb like 20 feet for 20 minutes. Of course, I will log my 2 hour dive at BHB with a max depth of 19 feet

Seems like I have seen some role of thumb like 20 feet for 20 minutes.
You may be thinking of the PADI requirements for a training dive: 20 minutes (or breath 50 cuft) and 15 feet.

Personally, I would not log swimming pool dives in my logbook. Seems like I have seen some role of thumb like 20 feet for 20 minutes. Of course, I will log my 2 hour dive at BHB with a max depth of 19 feet

Places like BHB are what drive this condundrum. I've done a handful of dives there, and my log entries are loaded with descriptions of all the cool things I saw, and maybe notes on how I weighted myself or otherwise geared up for such an unusual dive. I would even log a 20-minute dive at BHB in 15-20 feet of water, since there is information I want to record for my benefit. Now, I suppose if I were going to sign up for a course that required a prerequisite number of dives, I might not count that one as I leaf through my logbook to determine if I meet the prerequisite. It's hard to draw a line. I think all of us need to draw our own lines based on individual circumstances.

Reactions: Doc
+1 to Lorenzoid above.

Any time you can record data to understand your need for thermal protection, water temp (duration becomes a relevant factor) and weights used... That will benefit your future diving.

Dive logs gained importance in the early days when you need medical attention for DCS. This is how USN Medical knew how to handle your treatments after they pushed you in the recomp chamber.

Nowadays, the medical decisions are guided by the log function of your computer.

Written logs were initially retained after the advent of logging computers as one of those things "we always did". It's value in marketing continued education is obvious, as in the OP.

Some me guys see $ signs as they create"newer and better" versions of log book pages, or more modern sponsored data storage sites with pop up ads. (Seen that dropped in as forum "what do you think?" OPs more than once) There's one printed type I've seen that has a different page for every Red Sea dive site replete with dive map sketches, all for $50. Even simple revised versions, it's another something to sell.

Thermal protection, weight, water temp, duration. And a notation of :) or :(
That's all I've ever needed.

To the OP, in a literal sense : "What is a logged dive?"

Any one that you log.

Places like BHB are what drive this condundrum. I've done a handful of dives there, and my log entries are loaded with descriptions of all the cool things I saw, and maybe notes on how I weighted myself or otherwise geared up for such an unusual dive. I would even log a 20-minute dive at BHB in 15-20 feet of water, since there is information I want to record for my benefit. Now, I suppose if I were going to sign up for a course that required a prerequisite number of dives, I might not count that one as I leaf through my logbook to determine if I meet the prerequisite. It's hard to draw a line. I think all of us need to draw our own lines based on individual circumstances.

A dive at BHB is an open water dive. Don't worry about the depth. In fact, a dive at BHB depths and the typical tidal issues is more of a challenge and more worthy of logging than a typical 60 foot dive in currentless conditions.

I log dive where I have learned something. So I log EVERY dive (pool included)
The instructor may substact a few, but in the end he/she will see that you want to improve .

Shortest dive I logged was a memorable dive. My first and only cold water dive in a wet suit, max depth was like 86 feet and it lasted 12 minutes :). The next day I was shopping for a drysuit.

Longest dive was over 3 hours

Each of these was simply logged as one dive.

Basic rule of thumb I was taught a long time ago... Pool never counts, minimum 20 ft for 20 min... Min 10 min to count it as surface interval. It was pre computer so I think it was to make tables simple.

just a rule of thumb if your underwater for 40 min at 10 ft I would count that. I'm more interested in my total bottom time than number of dives. At least till your past 100 dives ... You could have a diver with 50 dives with 16hr underwater or 22hr underwater.

Back
Top Bottom