What is a Vet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brother an active duty army officer and I a veteran after 12 yrs of service as a physician in the Army, were on vacation in Nags Head NC about 15 years ago. We had taken our kids on an organized kayaking tour of one of the inland wildlife preserves.

While on the tour, to the delight of our children, the area was overflown by a couple of Navy F-14's. One lady on the tour however was not pleased at all. She began to complain loudly and continuously to our tour guide about the interruption. After enduring 3-4 minutes patiently, he finally turned his kayak around and said in voice loud enough for all to hear.

"Lady, that's the sound of freedom, you don't like it try moving to Yugoslavia were I was born. I like the sound."

Then he resumed the tour as if nothing had happened. My brother and I were grinning like mules eating briars.

What a wonderful read... brought tears to my eyes. It breaks my heart to think of all of those men and women out there, who have served and are serving, that don't know how much we appreciate everything they have done and are doing. I do my best to make sure that I thank them in any way that I can-- and I would hope that everyone else does also. Without them, we wouldn't be here today to even talk about this.

Any day, every day, any time day or night... THANK you, to the members, both past and present, of our U.S. Military.

My brother an active duty army officer and I a veteran after 12 yrs of service as a physician in the Army, were on vacation in Nags Head NC about 15 years ago. We had taken our kids on an organized kayaking tour of one of the inland wildlife preserves.

While on the tour, to the delight of our children, the area was overflown by a couple of Navy F-14's. One lady on the tour however was not pleased at all. She began to complain loudly and continuously to our tour guide about the interruption. After enduring 3-4 minutes patiently, he finally turned his kayak around and said in voice loud enough for all to hear.

"Lady, that's the sound of freedom, you don't like it try moving to Yugoslavia were I was born. I like the sound."

Then he resumed the tour as if nothing had happened. My brother and I were grinning like mules eating briars.

:rofl3: Dude that rocks!!!

As a Vet I thought the original post was great.

Here's my definition of what a Vet is.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Back
Top Bottom