What is an "S-Drill"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OU

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting ready to take the GUE-F course in a couple of months and I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind explaining what an s-drill is.
Thanks!

An air sharing drill where you donate the long hose to an out-of-air (OOA) diver.

Thanks! I assume that the "S" stands for "Sharing"?

An S-Drill should incorporate you as both the doner and the receiver. To ensure that all members of the team dont' have any hose routing issues the long hose should be fully deployed on each go around then properly stowed.

H2OU:
I assume that the "S" stands for "Sharing"?

"S" stands for "safety."

I would suggest that you get these books:

Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

and

Dress for Success By Dan MacKay

They can be purchased here.

Michael

Dress for Success can be very useful but a lot of stuff in there is out of date and may cause confusion - addressing your questions to/with your GUE instructor is probably the easiest solution.

It's a drill done at the beginning of every dive, especially overhead dives, to ensure that the long hose is deployable. A full S-drill, usually only done in relatively confined water such as with caves, involves a complete deployment and donation.

In a dynamic environment like the ocean, a full S-drill is rarely advisable, so we do a modified S-drill where you deploy the hose and switch to your backup, usually on your way down the line. Just be extra careful to do a surface deployment prior to jumping in the water.

Soggy:
It's a drill done at the beginning of every dive, especially overhead dives, to ensure that the long hose is deployable.
Soggy,

You don't have your buddy breath from it in the ocean?

Vie:
"S" stands for "safety."
Today's thread is brought to you by the number 3 and the letter F.

It's also important to do it after attaching bottles or other gear to make sure the long hose isn't trapped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom