• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What is best for a 5-6 foot entry from a pier? Giant stride?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Ladyvalea, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    We do the same thing at South Point on the Big Island. Gear goes down on a line, and you jump in (an honest 34 feet) or climb down the cliff. After the dive you climb up and haul your gear up later.

2. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many. Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

There is a cave dive in Mexico with a drop of about 20 feet, and people do that in doubles. It's actually amazing how little trouble it causes to do a long drop in gear. The first time I had to get off the Spectre (which I think is the boat in Teamcasa's picture) I was nervous as all get-out, but it went fine. Last weekend, I did a GS off a boat (about five or six feet) holding a SCOOTER!

3. piikki

piikki Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I don't like striding >5 ft either

That's good advice. The higher the fall and more apprehensive you are, the easier it is to have your fins splintering all around and taking an awkward tumble. Keeping legs together, body stiff makes for neat, controlled entry... and if you "fall" you fall on your back/arse rather than your face :)

But anyway, I think your group was maybe making you unnecessarily nervous about the freeflow. Just turn your reg on minus (if it has the the pre dive +/- switch). You do not need to make tech-level adjustments with your reg - at least I haven't had to for just dropping rig into water. Tidy all tanglies into BC, blow wing up and be ready to jump right after your goodies. Way more comfy than jumping very high with all the weight on, for me at least

4. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Oh, I forgot, the "embolism from regulator in the mouth on entry" that have occurred have all been from 4 or more feet. Snorkel in the mouth for safety!

5. piikki

piikki Solo Diver

Ok, you gotta tell more about this. Gotta be pretty rare!

6. miketsp

miketsp Solo Diver

The major concern jumping in off high piers is water depth.
    I've hit bottom a few times with my fins and jarred my spine even though I thought we had a lot of water.

7. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You tried that? There are some risks.
    Yep, The Pit on the Dos Ojos property requires a 20 ft or more stride. We did lean our heads forward to avoid bumping the valve. At the end, leave the kit floating, use a rope to help climb the wall, use a rope pulley to pull up the kits.
    Yeah, that sucks. Did that once at San Soloman, Texas.

8. Teamcasa

Teamcasa Sr. Moderator ScubaBoard Supporter

From another thread
    All I can say is where is his buddy and how is he getting out !

[​IMG]

9. Ladyvalea

Ladyvalea Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Yep,. I have that Aqualung Lengend...with the +/- switch...but i thought I had to adjust the venturi?? the thingy that you can turn to hard breathing or easy? I had it set to the perfect breathin ... I didn't want to turn it to the loose end .... So ...I really didn't have to touch that part of the regulator? right????

10. Ladyvalea

Ladyvalea Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    this is scary