What is best for a 5-6 foot entry from a pier? Giant stride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a cave dive in Mexico with a drop of about 20 feet, and people do that in doubles. It's actually amazing how little trouble it causes to do a long drop in gear. The first time I had to get off the Spectre (which I think is the boat in Teamcasa's picture) I was nervous as all get-out, but it went fine. Last weekend, I did a GS off a boat (about five or six feet) holding a SCOOTER!

It was the Great Escape but they are very simulair boats.:wink:

Why not tie your gear to the rope you need to throw down anyway? This guarantees your gear won't drift away and your rope will be in the water. If you use a carabiner or some such it is an easy connect/disconnect too.

I never liked donning the gear in water. I am not comfortable with it and would rather seek other options to get it done.

I never liked donning the gear in water. I am not comfortable with it and would rather seek other options to get it done.

As I've mentioned before in this thread, throwing the gear into the water may not always be the best option.

Also, we're assuming that an integrated weight system is being used - you cannot jump in with a weight belt on and you can't have it passed onto you from a 6ft pier.

However, the removal and replacement of gear in the water is an important skill that you want to be fairly confident doing. In an emergency situation, it could be crucial. A refresher practice (trying a few times) in the pool or in shallow waters can make a big difference and you'll be wondering why you'd made a fuss before.

From another thread
All I can say is where is his buddy and how is he getting out !

a.) Buddy probably taking dramatic picture
b.) Buddy probably standing by the ladder to ensure picture is dramatic

:D

pic_11940_36339.jpg

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before in this thread, throwing the gear into the water may not always be the best option.

Also, we're assuming that an integrated weight system is being used - you cannot jump in with a weight belt on and you can't have it passed onto you from a 6ft pier.

However, the removal and replacement of gear in the water is an important skill that you want to be fairly confident doing. In an emergency situation, it could be crucial. A refresher practice (trying a few times) in the pool or in shallow waters can make a big difference and you'll be wondering why you'd made a fuss before.

Oh, I can do it, that is fine. But for some reason it never feels as comfortable as I am used to when donning outside water. So if I need to do remove/replace under water due to emergency and I don't feel it fits well after that I am signaling an ascent, do a safety stop and complete that particular dive.

As long as you know what is underneath of you a giant stride entry at this height is not going to be a problem, but then again neither would chucking your gear in first (just as long as you have your BCD inflated otherwise you have to pay someone to do a recovery dive for you). In the end it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the giant stride myself.

In the Marines we used to train to do a similar entry, with a full combat load, from forty-five feet. The important thing to remember is that as the height of the entry increases you need to be very vigilant about the position of your feet upon contact with the water.

Very cool thread, and informative. Thanks to all who contributed!

I've never had the opportunity to do a full-gear entry from higher than maybe 5-6 feet, so it was interesting to read about "big drops".

All I can say is "Wow" to the full-gear entries that were described. :shocked2:

Like Thal, I was also trained to do giant strides with "snorkel-in-mouth", and it does sound like a good idea for the "high-altitude" entries :wink:

Best wishes.

Okay, I really had to think about the embolism suggestion, and then got busy with life so haven't been back to this thread, but it makes sense. I was never cautioned, when stepping off of high boat decks or higher and highest Cenote decks, but now I think I understand....

1: If my BC is fully inflated, and I have a 40 lift capacity, then if I sink 3-4 ft or deeper, and happen to take a breath from my reg at ambient pressure right before I do a fast buoyant ascent - embolism is indeed possible. Not good at all!

2: If I deflate the BC and step off, then however deep I sink, I can do a slow, controlled ascent, breathing, but maybe miss the drift line. Not good either.

3: If I hold my snorkel in my mouth as some suggested being taught (sounds like a Padi idea?), or just hold my breath until I surface with the fully inflated BC or maybe exhale slowly but not inhale until I surface, then I am safe...?

Door Number Three

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom