what is dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgasa

Reaction score
what is dir i have a friend who has a apeks dir rig for sale and whaty i need to know is what is dir ?

Do a search, there's lots of good info on the board.

wgasa:
what is dir i have a friend who has a apeks dir rig for sale and whaty i need to know is what is dir ?

I suggest that you go to the following two sites: www.gue.com and www.wkpp.org. They are excellent starting points.

You should also go to the DIR section of this site.

Greg

DIR ("Doing It Right") is a form of scuba fascism that dictates exactly how you configure your gear, how you kick, how you respond to situations, who you dive with, etc. If you choose not to conform completely to the DIR philosophy, you are called a "stroke," which has been variously defined as a poor, unsafe or suicidal diver. DIR advocates will try to sugarcoat their beliefs for mainstream consumption, but it ultimately comes down to an attempt to impose their methods on the diving population at large through ridicule and isolation.

The above definition applies only to true DIR advocates, and not those who intelligently choose to accept what is good in their system and disregard what is not.

Whoa!!

Do I need to make you a cup of coffee this morning?

DIR is a diving system that was developed in the cave community and is finding greater acceptance in the recreational diving community.

The question everyone should have asked so far is, what regulators are they? Is the DIR description referring to hose length? If the set-up does have a long hose configuration, do you want to dive with it? You can get shorter hoses for a tradtional regulator configuration if you like, but it will cost you a few dollars to swap out the hoses.

Rachel

CRDiver:
DIR ("Doing It Right") is a form of scuba fascism that dictates exactly how you configure your gear, how you kick, how you respond to situations, who you dive with, etc. If you choose not to conform completely to the DIR philosophy, you are called a "stroke," which has been variously defined as a poor, unsafe or suicidal diver. DIR advocates will try to sugarcoat their beliefs for mainstream consumption, but it ultimately comes down to an attempt to impose their methods on the diving population at large through ridicule and isolation.

The above definition applies only to true DIR advocates, and not those who intelligently choose to accept what is good in their system and disregard what is not.
Yeah, I do some of it right and some of it my way. I've been called a "stroke", but only behind my back. :)

To Wgasa,

My guess is that the regulater set for sale is setup to DIR configuration standards regarding hose length and backup reg necklace, etc... You can dive them this way whether you are DIR or not. I dive a 7' long primary hose and a standard length hose on my backup. My two regs are independent on an H-valve or isolation manifold, but they could be connected to the same 1st stage. There are a million ways to configure your equipment. I wouldn't worry about the DIR adjective for making your decision. Go with equipment that works for you, and don't depart too far from proven standards in configuration.

wgasa:

Check out the DIR Forum here on the scubaboard and read the sticky by Cavediver entitiled, "What is DIR" it is really an excellent article.

Karen

wgasa:
Apeks is a brand of regulator. The fact that it is DIR alludes to it being a preferred regulator among certain types of divers and that it has a certain hose configuration in regard to length and routing.

CRDiver:

This is among one of the most uninformed and biased opinions I have ever read. But I'm not going to start a flame war and respond any further than to say that you are way off base and might want to investigate DIR a little further before you try to define it.

CRDiver:

CRDiver:

Actually, you're wrong here too. "True DIR Advocates" are the ones that intelligently chose the system, and dive it based on it's merits, not simply because someone else does. The definition you gave is much more likely to apply to those that have only been informed via the internet or some other third party method and have no real understanding of what the system is or how the system works.

If you care to debate the merits of what is "good" in their system and what is "not," send me a PM and I'll be glad to continue the discussion further.

For the record, I have never seen a "True DIR Advocate" try to impose their methods on anyone. They don't have to. If you ever see one dive, you'll likely understand why.

Regards,

John

Karen Cleveland:
Check out the DIR Forum here on the scubaboard and read the sticky by Cavediver entitiled, "What is DIR" it is really an excellent article.

Karen

Thank you Karen.

wgasa:

A DIR reg will have a long (5' to 7') hose on the primary second stage, a bungee on the safe second (what some refer to as a "necklace"), and will not have a console for gauges ... only an SPG on a high pressure hose.

If you purchase a DIR configured regulator, and know nothing else about DIR, you need to understand that you will not get a compass, depth gauge, timing device, or computer as part of the regulator package. Those are worn on your wrist, and come separate from the regulator itself.

If you've not been previously exposed to this kind of configuration, please be prepared (before you dive the rig) to get with someone who uses this configuration and practice how to properly wear and use it. Out of air exchanges using this configuration are relatively simple, but different than what you were taught with the "standard" regulator setup.

Apeks is a good quality reg ... you should be very happy with the performance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CRDiver:

The above definition doesn't apply to any of the numerous DIR trained divers I know. For the most part they're a pretty friendly bunch. I'm not DIR ... but I have learned a lot about diving from my friends who are. They don't call me names, and I don't call them names. They don't impose their beliefs, and I don't impose mine. We just enjoy diving together. I've discovered it's a mutually beneficial approach ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom