What is "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Had a note on one of my posts that a member assumed my Dive Dry with Dr. Bill columns were about diving in a dry suit. Nothing could be further from the truth and I wanted to clarify what it means.

When I started writing my weekly newspaper column about 18 years ago, I thought it would be a catchy phase for a column about marine life, marine ecology and general diving. After all, by diving dry my readers get to encounter critters by sitting warm and cozy in their easy chair with their favorite adult beverage... no wetsuit or cold water required. It was also the title of my first regional cable TV show for the same reason.

As for diving a dry suit, I have only done that once (years ago in January or February of all months). It was the wettest and coldest dive of my life thanks to the many holes in the suit. I dive wet year round here in SoCal down to temps as low as 46° F (although comfortably only down to 50° F).

So if you are interested in the critters you might encounter diving SoCal or any remote destination I travel to, my columns may be for you. I even throw in a few each year on wrecks, dive events, etc.

My nearly 750 Dive Dry columns are all archived on my website: Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Products: Weekly Newspaper Columns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom