What is "recreational" rebreather, and any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am interested in a rebreather for my underwater photography. Not interested in extreme tech or cave diving, more interested in the "silent" aspect.

So,what is meant by a "recreational" rebreather? What brands/models does this mean? Why and how are they simpler to use than a "non-recreational" rebreather? I want something relatively simple, where if there is an issue it warns me, I have a bailout valve connected, and can end the dive safely, as opposed to trying to "fix" the issue at depth.

Any advice to get my research going would be appreciated!

It is a failed marketing term for a rebreather to try to make it sound more approachable.

Just buy a proper one. If you want a bail out valve as standard buy an Inspiration. They come in yellow which is more recreational than black. Otherwise buy a JJ, afterwards you can add one of a couple of bailout valves.

@guyharrisonphoto I'm doing the same research as you but not just for photo but for recreational diving in general. A few things have come across as common themes:
1. Needs training (of course) necessitating more travel and time
2. Needs to be able to get parts and service thus one needs to have a dealer closeby
3. Some manufacturers are not customer friendly. Some are fly by night. I've narrowed it down to JJ and SF2.
4. Prepare to spend $$
5. It's a great experience

Hope this helps.

The"recreational" or "Type R" rebreather is defined at this page, halfway down: Rebreathers | PADI

They are designed from a point of view of making CCR diving more accessible to divers earlier in their career. Balancing accessibility (leading to wider acceptance, more sales and more options for other CCR users as tech becomes financially viable to R&D) and the fact that CCR is not (yet) for everyone is the balancing act that the industry needs to address.

A recreational CCR will probably be the simplest way to get into rebreather diving, with the lowest barriers to entry. Note, I am not discussing whether those barriers are necessary or appropriate.

As it stands, I can, through RAID, train someone for their first OW cert on CCR. It is possible to go an entire diving career now without ever diving OC aside from bailout training.

In terms of units, there are some design philosophies that are very different so it is not really possible to do an apples-apples comparison. The most popular rec CCR models in my (limited) experience are the Poseidon MK6/Se7en (what I dive), the DiveRite Optima and the AP Inspiration.

Other models are available, every user and instructor has their own biases/preferences. Arrange a try-dive with a reputable instructor and see if it is for you. Regardless of the unit, inattention to detail during assembly and failure to monitor what is happening in the loop religiously will hurt you badly at some point. If you are a person who will occasionally drop in without doing buddy checks and you are sometimes surprised by what your SPG reads when you remember to check it, CCR is not going to be for you.

I think most commercially available ECCRs are suitable for a newer diver that wants to use a rebreather for recreational diving. They all have their advantages and disadvantages unique to themselves. Some are cheaper than others, but they are all affordable used. As said by compressor, availability of training and service are very important.

I think Poseidon had a great idea with the fully automated and manufacturer limiting of their type r rebreathers. It keeps idiots from doing idiot things. That being said, I think an inattentive diver is just as likely to be stupid on open circuit as they are on a rebreather. On a rebreather, the consequences are generally more severe though.

AP, JJ, Meg,revo, Optima...all can do the same things, and are similar in price. They lack the built in mandatory checklists and BIT tests of the Poseidon machines...which isn’t nessecarily a bad thing.
All the machines warn you if there is a problem if you are paying attention. In my opinion, if you can’t be attentive enough to know your PPO2, or notice failures, you shouldn’t be diving a rebreather. There’s nothing wrong with bailing at the first sign of unit failure, and not trying to fix your problem underwater, assuming that direct bailout and ascent is an option.
BOVs can be installed on any of them, but if you are at any significant depth, you are probably going to have to plug in your offboard bailout to the BOV....them Dil bottles aren’t very big.

Alternatively, have you considered a Kraken dual hose regulator? This will put the exhaust bubbles back behind your head. It's not rebreather silent, but it will get those noisy bubbles away from your face and camera.

If you are looking for a Rebreather that is going to "handle things" or warn you of problems, I'd just abandon this idea right now. Instead I would encourage you to attend a TRY CCR event in your area where you can ask questions, fly one in the pool, and learn some of the basics. If you don't like to assemble, disassemble, clean, and maintain your dive gear this is probably not for you. Now If you LIKE working with your equipment (much like your camera which requires care and attention) you going to enjoy a rebreather and can be safe using it.

I would look into the KISS Spirit LTE. Mechanical (non-electronic) constant flow rebreather that packs light, ultra reliable, simple to maintain and service, and realatively inexpensive. Very little to go wrong with this unit you can't fix with a cresent wrench and some silicone lubricant. It's basically just a couple of regulators and some plastic tubes & connectors. I've been using this and similar KISS units for about 12 years and have been very happy. My non-tech-diving wife also dives one and loves it. I'd argue that it's safer than the e-CCR units but that's a matter of opinion and very open to debate.

I shoot video (for myself) and have been interested in the Poseidon Se7en for a while since I just want the quiet and extended time. Also they market it as a "Recreational" rebreather.

Poseidon Rebreather

It seems like a conversation that starts with “Recreational Rebreather” should mention the Mares Horizon. I don’t know if it will be successful, but it certainly is attempting to address a diver in your stated situation.

Although I didn’t choose a Se7en for myself, I agree with those that say that it’s probably worth your consideration. It is a somewhat unique system.

Many of the above mentioned CCRs share the same base Shearwater DiveCAN electronics package. That lends them all a certain functional similarity. Each has various advantages and disadvantages but I think all of them are very reasonable choices. I believe this would now include the O2ptima, JJ, XCCR, Tiburon, and SF2. I think?

(Disclosure: I have an XCCR)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom