What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGBrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not quite sure how else to ask it, when hiking you can almost always pick out new backpackers by the small orange colghans shovel in the side of their pack for digging poop pits.
usually when helping someone out who has this shovel I start with the very simplest and human caused reasons for gear malfunction
This shovel is one of those Good Ideas that while it does do exactly what is advertised, is usually ditched by the 3rd trip, because a stick works just as well and is therefore a waste of money.
So what bits of dive gear are like the orange shovel, totally functional but not needed, although they seem rational to have as a beginner.

H on their gear - overly expensive, purchased due to peer-pressure brought on by a lack of self-esteem.

:)

Orange Scumballs(sp).

Yes, I'm a victim of peer pressure. :rofl3:

But I do use spell-check software... :D

Tank bangers or tank wraps.

the K

JGBrown:
I'm not quite sure how else to ask it, when hiking you can almost always pick out new backpackers by the small orange colghans shovel in the side of their pack for digging poop pits.
usually when helping someone out who has this shovel I start with the very simplest and human caused reasons for gear malfunction
This shovel is one of those Good Ideas that while it does do exactly what is advertised, is usually ditched by the 3rd trip, because a stick works just as well and is therefore a waste of money.
So what bits of dive gear are like the orange shovel, totally functional but not needed, although they seem rational to have as a beginner.

MAN what an awesome question. Only problem is that it encompasses nearly everything a new diver walks out of the shop with.

Backpackers, but their very nature, tend to be minmalist. The opposite seems to be true of divers.

PerroneFord:
Only problem is that it encompasses nearly everything a new diver walks out of the shop with.
This thread is getting better by the hour...

All of this is true. You guys are killing me.

Clear skirted 3 window masks need to be near the top. Aquarium on your grill means new card in your pocket.

Mesh hose covers with matching strain reliefs

Any snorkle over $35

Atomic Split Fins

Neoprene Slap Strap with the Dive shop name on it (or even better, some resort name in Coz where said Orange Shoveler got their resort cert!)

An bright green 02 clean slider on your primary second stage hose (complete with month / year punch out...)

Mesh backpack dive bag (OK OK... some of you WWW's use them. They're worthless in SoCal)

DAN Tag matching your mesh hose wraps and strain reliefs.

An orange whistle clipped to your chest D-Ring

Oh, man - this is rough. I was so this guy. I think I had every one of these (except the slap strap...)

Ouch.

---
Ken

Haha, I had a 3 window mask, w/ purge valve! But I like the idea of a slap strap, the silicone ones tug my hair, even my instructor wore one.

I guess this stuff is the equivalent of bicycling's unshaven legs and reflectors still on the road bike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom