What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp:
Sorry... mine almost killed me. Thank goodness for my buddy. The bad part was my dealer had just serviced it - I guess I should say my dealer almost killed me. Atomic finally fixed it, however.

Thanks Gerald:

Gotta weigh in and put out here in the diaspora, for those who the SS1 works flawlessly, you are fortunate guys.

For the majority of us who have had trouble with this bang whiz do it all in one inflator/back up reg/can opener/mp3 player. . . . .

The stuff that mfrs put out there for us the buying public to consume borders on ridiculous sometimes.

I went back to an inflator hose setup with a back up reg necklaced around my neck.

Oh, also guilty of purchasing the Deep Outdoors "Office" that attached to your chest strap to increase your drag in the water column exponentially. . . now THAT is an orange shovel!

Let the flaming begin. . . .:popcorn:

Originally Posted by Heffey
Canister lights, Double Tanks, Lift Bags, BP&W's, Stage Bottles, Ponies larger than 19 cf, Spring Straps and Drysuits

All of these fit the "totally functional but not needed" part of the Orange Shovel criteria for me.

I actually thought it was pretty funny, intended to get a reaction. I would say it did.

Good god man, you sound like you are in your forties. :rofl3:

I am sure you realize that not all divers using technical gear are experienced and not all experienced divers do technical diving.

This whole thread is so subjective with the orange shovel nominations that I find it almost laughable. So many opinions, so few compelling explanations.
One man’s essential gear is another man’s orange shovel.

I read this interesting quote somewhere.
“I was one young and new it all, now I am older and realize that I dont have a clue. . .”
Oh ya, now I remember, it was in your profile. :D

Heffey:
One man’s essential gear is another man’s orange shovel.
And in either case you still have to dig a hole for the po-du.

This whole snorkel hating thing has got me buggered. If I am waiting in the water for buddies, I can just whack my snorkel in and look at the scenery, rather than sucking on my reg, or I can use it to do a surface swim from a boat to a bommie, rather than using air to descend then swim over to it. I've been diving for 25 years now, and still take a snorkel every time. Maybe people just have a fear of not looking tekkie and experienced if they carry a snorkel???

wettek:
This whole snorkel hating thing has got me buggered. If I am waiting in the water for buddies, I can just whack my snorkel in and look at the scenery, rather than sucking on my reg, or I can use it to do a surface swim from a boat to a bommie, rather than using air to descend then swim over to it. I've been diving for 25 years now, and still take a snorkel every time. Maybe people just have a fear of not looking tekkie and experienced if they carry a snorkel???
Actually they are taught that by instructors who, were taught by ITs that rather than take the time to teach basic skills, most problems can be solved (and hurried along) by sucking on a regulator. Thus the 20 hour course. Cave and wreck diving excepted, of course.

.....wearing 20 pounds more weight than one needs. I love when they say they want to be a little heavy. Why? They're just going to add air to make themselves neutral.:shakehead

wettek:

Depending on your set-up a snorkel might not be possible. With my long hose, the snorkel is in the way for me to remove the hose to donate plus it is a snag hazzard. To each his own and in the end, it's all about just having fun!

Happy Diving y'all!
Carolyn:D

An Open Water Diver patch on their jacket is usually a dead giveaway to a new diver...also...fresh smelling divebooties.

wettek:

I don't think anybody has a problem with carrying a shorkel, they just don't want to wear it while diving. Underwater, it's as useful as a starter-pistol at a gun-fight.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom