• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by JGBrown, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Archangel

Archangel ...

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Now Mike, I saw you on the boat, and man you were babe catchin' studly.

. . . so I will take your eloquent prose as you are definitely brillant. . .

it has been far too long, lets go diving my friend.

2. Archangel

Archangel ...

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yea, I got mod-ified and then Heffey got pseudo modded from my modification.

Heffey, I owe you a beer!

Safe diving all,

3. sambolino44

sambolino44 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    First, I go hiking a lot, and I finally got my orange shovel, and I'm glad I did because it works a lot better than a stick and my knife stays sharp now. My wife remains unconvinced, but I don't care.

Second, yes, I'm a boob, er, noob, but I don't think this snot-nosed thing is going to go away. I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of a major rinse swish as soon as I remove my mask.

Being a boob, er, noob with an orange shovel, I'm sure I'm not one to offer suggestions on this thread, but, not knowing what the heck I'm talking about never stopped me from posting on this board before, so...

Snorkels
    Jacket-style BCs
    Big Honkin' Knives
    Neoprene mask straps

All of which probably falls under good equipment that just doesn't fit someone's personal diving style.

Now that you mention it, I might start taking my orange shovel diving with me!

4. Jocasseegirl

Jocasseegirl Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    unless the trimix diver just did a 300-foot dive 2 hours earlier and graciously agreed to accompany a new diver (me) for a shallow dive around the cove :wink:. He always dives a rebreather - why switch to a tank just to do a shallow dive?

5. dmdoss

dmdoss Barracuda

tank wraps.

6. jim T.

jim T. Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Dive Tee Shirts can be handy when travelling on a Cruise Ship and you want to meet the other divers who are on board before you meet them on the excursion dives. This works especially well in the gym on board.
    Gives you a chance to find a competent buddy ahead of time.

I'll never completely give up my snorkel. When using doubles with a long hose it's in the way, but I'll probably get a folding snorkel for my drysuit pocket once I get my pocket. It's nice to be able to flip over once in awhile on a long surface swim and give some other muscles a chance to take over. Should one ever have to ditch their rig a snorkel
    can be a very nice thing to have with you.

I like seeing a whistle or air horn on someone's rig. It shows that they're being realistic about what can go wrong on boat dives in current and are making an attempt to be prepared for that possibility.

What is the problem with multi windowed clear skirted masks? Unless you're photographing, etc. Why wouldn't increased peripheral vision
    be an asset? I've personally never had a problem with reflected light off the mask lens, etc. even in the Caribbean.

If something has a practical/safety application in diving I can't see anything wrong with it myself.

7. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

If you're talking about Charles then that's different:wink:
    RB divers use trimix in the pool as well. It's way too cheap not to.

8. hantzu701

hantzu701 SoCal DIR

tank lights for night diving
    and yes, I got snookered into buying retractors.

Lucky for me, I already had neon yellow knee pads from rollerblading, so I didn't need to buy those.