What is Skype

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I keep seeing people refer to Skype but have no idea what it is, what it is used for and how do you get it if you need it. Can someone please enlighten me.

It's a free (non-commercial use) IP (Internet) calling service with very affordable rates to non-Skype users. Skype to Skype calls/video calls are free.

It also supports personal video calling/chat which is what I use it for.

All you need is a camera and an internet connection. I've never used the phone service so no idea how well it works. Works on a wide variety of platforms including PC, Mac, Smartphones etc. Simple to use. I use it to communicate with people at home when I'm on trips. On a broadband connection the video quality is surprisingly good. It also helps to have a better camnera.

They can explain it better than I can:

Free Skype calls and cheap calls to phones - Skype

Paid phone service also works pretty well for making international calls quite inexpensively. The sound quality is generally very good.

I use Skype, since it is a solid internet based phone vs my lame Iphone that constantly drops calls, but I use Google Voice more than Skype. My work number is a Google Voice number piped directly into my cell number. Allows me to have a different area code since I live in one and have a cell from another. Totally free and works flawlessly, at least that I know of. I can choose which area code I want displayed on outbound calls too.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's the address of that rock you've been living under?? LOL

Do they sell Wikipedia door to door like in the good old days?

And yes I was the model for the guy living under the rock for the GEICO commercial but my wifi sucked so I moved to a cave.

Calls to toll-free numbers are also free from international locations. Very handy.

Back
Top Bottom