What is the average life expectancy of Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexM

Reaction score
If a regulator is regularly serviced how long can they last. For example, a 5 year old Sherwood Maximus with 1000 dives on it. Anything to watch for or will it just keep on going? I am comparing two different ones for sale. One was made in 95, 125? dives on it, the other is a 95, 1000 dives on it but about half the money.

Thanks

Go with the one that has 125 dives on it. I don't know, but a thousand dives on one reg is a lot.

Eric

I agree with Eric, as long as the 125 reg was properly maintained and not abused. 125 to 1000 is a big jump in my opinion. Do you know the reg tech who worked on them, or do you know a reg tech you trust who can go over them with/for you?

I still dive my Conshelf that I bought in 1972. And it has seen some pretty harsh conditions from time to time, including one complete saltwater flooding - underwater "O" ring replacement on a deco bottle, so I blew salt water through the whole thing (immediate overhaul as soon as I got back home from that trip).
Can't say how many dives are on it as I didn't log for a couple of decades, but there are more than a few.
The components that wear inside a reg are replaced during overhaul - I see no reason a reg can't keep going and going and going if it is serviced regularly per the manufacturer's specs.
Rick

If the reg has been serviced properly, the number of dives it has on it is irrelavent. Regs go through revisions and periodic upgrades, which would have been added to the reg with it's annual servicing.

Having said that however it's important to understand that regs have improved over the years, and if it's a layout change that's been made to improve it's safety and/or performance, than no amount of "kit" is going to help.

My suggestion of course will be to buy a reg new, with a lifetime parts warrenty. Over the course of a few years the amount of money you will save from free parts will surpass the initial savings you will make by buying used life support equipment.

Well, the one with 1000 dives on it was sold before I got back to them but they were asking 100, I also found out gauges came with that. Needless to say, when I found that out I was going to buy it right away but it was sold. The other one (250 or so dives) is 175 with gauges no octo. Pretty good too. Now I have also found a scubapro G250 with octo and gauges $175. I have heard a lot of good things about these, but I think I would still like the comfort of the Maximus. Also, I used an Oasis for my classes and my mouth was still dry. I can't imagine how dry I might get with any others. But being new to this I just am not sure. Thanks for any info.

Since I got on to a little different subject about the Scubapro, I would also like to add in answer to Mario, from what I understand, most companies do not give lifetime parts. I have looked at one, the Genesis 2000, it sounds good, I just don't know anyone that has tried it. Since I am on the subject I have also looked at the Beuchat VX10 Iceberg, which I believe is a 5 year warranty, and the Apex. But it came down to the underarm hose, not so dry of a mouth and the second stage swivel. Feel free to comment on any of these also. Thanks

Hey AlexM,

Don't all regulators breathe dry? How do they put moisture back into the air? Is there anyway to tell if the reg I have is supposed to breathe more moist?

Thanks!

tomcat

tomcat,
There are a couple of schemes to get moisture into the air from a Scuba tank. Some use direct addition from an in-line canister mounted at the first stage end of the low pressure hose - a more elegant solution is used in the Sherwood Oasis reg, because it is so simple and doesn't require any per-dive maintenance. In the second stage there is a stainless steel plate - that plate gets cold from the air entering the second stage, so when you exhale, moisture from your breath condenses on it. When you inhale, the moisture evaporates, humidifying the dry tank air somewhat, returning some of your exhaled moisture to you. Simple and effective, and if you are one who suffers from "dry mouth" to the extent it interferes with your ability to enjoy your dives, you might want to check it out. I think Sherwood may have put the plate in a higher performance reg as well, but I can't recall the name.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom