What is the best Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really? why? just curious as i haven't heard this before.

The photogs keep all the big $$$ in their camera rig... :)

Generally speaking a mCCR is going to be $1-2K cheaper than a comparable eCCR...

Of the big names off the top of my head....
Walt Sterns - mCCR
Doug Ebersole - mCCR
Curt Bowen - mCCR
Jill Heinerth - eCCR
Becky Kagan\Dave Schott - eCCR
Dave Ulloa - eCCR
Wes Skiles - eCCR
Mel Clark - mCCR

I can't cite you a specific reference on photographers using mCCRs. Its just from what I have read over the years it seems that more photographers are using rebreathers such as the sport kiss for shallower dives to snap shots of pretty reef fish.

Show me I'm wrong. I don't mind. It will only enhance the value of this thread and my knowledge.

How about one for:

Travels well and for rec diving.

Just based on my casual knowledge of such things it would seem like the Evo would fit. Would that be correct?

You get utterly crap ROIC on a rebreather for recreational diving.

Unless you REALLY like to futz with your gear and spend LOTS of money on it.

"Travel well" is a relative term. I made the mistake of taking mine on my honeymoon and it almost ended things right there!

It really depends on your mission.

For travel:
- If you need Helium and it's: uber hard to get or expensive.
- If you're going to be doing dives with lots of decompression and oxygen and mixing will be difficult and expensive. (and you will have a hard time breaking those dives into multiple shorter bottom time exposures with more surface intervals.)

-matt

(or you are a photo bug who hunts down very shy critters)

You get utterly crap ROIC on a rebreather for recreational diving.

Unless you REALLY like to futz with your gear and spend LOTS of money.

Not sure I agree with this... if your time is worth $$$ The extent of additional 'effort' to fiddle is cleaning the loop... All of 5 minutes to disassemble, put into a tub, rinse and hang up...

When I show up at the boat; my rig is fully assembled. It goes from the car to the bench and back. I don't have to tear it down into 3 different bags at the end of the day like a lot of OC divers I see every weekend.

I fill all my bottles at home lowering my fill cost for a weekend to somewhere around $5-10. A fill of sorb is $16.

And equivalent OC recreational diver needs to drive to the LDS - lets say 2 hours, 30 mins each way and an hour waiting for fills ($30/hour would be reasonable). And pays (being generous here w/ per cuft pricing...) $7 x 8 tanks for a full weekend = $56

So I'm already looking at a $90 advantage for a FULL weekend of recreational diving....
Thats a difference of $2340 over 26 weekends. $4680 over a year.

Throw in technical diving.... All costs on the RB are the same.... $26

Same 2 hours to get 2 sets of doubles filled....
Lets say a fill of 21/35 is $60 & 2 deco bottle fills are $30 and I'm looking at $150, a $124 advantage....

Oh and less I get flamed for leaving them out... figure $200 a year for cells, and batteries are nominal (at least on the meg!). If your an active diver - it adds up... Especially when you factor in time...

How long have you have your meg? I've had meg #138 long enough to know that the electronics package does not last as long as a good dive computer.

Not sure I agree with this... if your time is worth $$$ The extent of additional 'effort' to fiddle is cleaning the loop... All of 5 minutes to disassemble, put into a tub, rinse and hang up...

When I show up at the boat; my rig is fully assembled. It goes from the car to the bench and back. I don't have to tear it down into 3 different bags at the end of the day like a lot of OC divers I see every weekend.

You are right on target with a boat dive. Especially if you dive often and pay $120+ for a two tank dive. If you get past 100-130' and make two dives then the length of time you get to stay vs. OC and the amount of 50% or o2 you'd use for deco starts to come into play. It depends on what you call recreational.

I doesn't cost that much to buy a few extra 80's and have them filled with air or 32%.

You live in FL too......I'd love to get in 26 weekends and 8 dives a weekend!!!

How long have you have your meg? I've had meg #138 long enough to know that the electronics package does not last as long as a good dive computer.

2.5+ years... got two - picked them both up used... #247 & #640...
The first one was 2.01 and had a issue when the head temp sensor went out - I had it replaced to 2.5, partially under warranty. Having the reportable electronics really helps if\when issues do arise. all my other issues have been diver induced.

Whats a 'good' dive computer? I've had fits w/ my Uwatec Tec2G and its replacement...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom