What is the best Single BP/W setup for the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking into buying a single setup for a steel 80 or 100.
I am attracted to the stuff DGX sells because of price.
Is there anything lacking due to the price point?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

I bought my wing setup from them I am very happy with it and with the 25 pound wing it is good for a hp100. As far as lacking their setup comes with an aluminum plate and not stainless steel and they won't swap it out but otherwise I am very happy with it.

Didn't hear or notice any problem so far!
Price is too good to the true? There is exception!
A warm water set up.

I think Piranha is still selling Hog wings for $150 shipped.

The dgx is a 25 or 40 pound wing aluminum backplate 2 in harness with crotch strap and hardware for $300.00

There are slight differences between some gear. If you want to go GUE there are specifics around which D-rings, where they are placed, etc. So a Halcyon harness is going to have all the right bits. However, even if you buy a harness with not quite the right hardware, you can often change up a few pieces and still be configured correctly.

Stainless steel isn't no-stain steel. So it will rust if you don't take care of it. That said, there are different kinds of stainless steel. If it starts with a 3xx then it is nickel-chromium but 304 will be slightly different from 316 (both can be used for back plates). Again, SLIGHTLY different. The 304 is most common in the USA. The 316 is surgical or marine grade stainless steel. Supposedly better at resisting corrosion than 304. When I was pricing out plates I found the 304 plates were typically less expensive (more commonly available = quantity = reduced cost?). So if you are looking to save a few bucks the 304 steel plates should be a little cheaper.

My last BP/W I bought some webbing and all the hardware then strung the harness myself. Knowing how to do this, selecting a stiffer webbing, etc. will save you a few dollars. Some harness will cost more because you are paying for the branding. Some will have an extra feature, e.g. snitch system allows you to quickly loosen or tighten the harness or deluxe harness have buckles you can open and close the shoulder straps (some feel this is a failure point; others like being able to set the harness up to be tight and take it off my releasing a buckle). These extra features will cost you more.

Different size wings will cost differently. You want to make sure you pick a wing that works for you. I like donut wings because I can roll air bubbles around to shoulder or butt dump valve depending on which orientation I am in. You might want to borrow/rent different style wings to see what you like.

Having a built in tank stabilizer means you won't need a single tank adaptor (STA). This will reduce cost but it means you might have to weight some more lead.

I use a 10 pound steel plate with a STA and steel tanks at home because I dive 7mm, 14mm or drysuit. The buoyancy of my exposure wear means I want my gear to be heavy. When traveling, I want my gear to be lighter. Less weight in the luggage, I typically wear a 2.5mm wetsuit. So my travel BP/W is an aluminum plate and the wing has a built in tank stabilizer. Even if I need more weight, I'd rather use lead at the dive site than haul a STA and a 10 pound plate in my luggage.

Also, some wings have things like bungee cord to collapse it when you let the air out. Makes you more streamlined (or so they claim). My travel wing has bungee on the inside of the wing cover. This is supposed to be very streamlined. I didn't buy it for that reason. It was inexpensive but still well built. People tell me the bungee will make it hard/impossible to orally inflate the wing. If you cannot orally inflate a wing with bungee, you need to do more cardio.

There is probably more I'm not thinking of but this is what pops to mind.

Darrell

P.S. jut thought of one more thing... don't buy a wing which is too large. For single tank I use a 27 pound wing for cold water and 25 pound wing for warm water. I don't think I'd ever go above 32 pounds for a single tank. For aluminum cold water I might drop 5 pounds and for warm water I can probably drop another 3 or 4 pounds. This is my personal buoyancy characteristics. Yours will vary.

There are slight differences between some gear. If you want to go GUE there are specifics around which D-rings, where they are placed, etc. So a Halcyon harness is going to have all the right bits. However, even if you buy a harness with not quite the right hardware, you can often change up a few pieces and still be configured correctly.

Stainless steel isn't no-stain steel. So it will rust if you don't take care of it. That said, there are different kinds of stainless steel. If it starts with a 3xx then it is nickel-chromium but 304 will be slightly different from 316 (both can be used for back plates). Again, SLIGHTLY different. The 304 is most common in the USA. The 316 is surgical or marine grade stainless steel. Supposedly better at resisting corrosion than 304. When I was pricing out plates I found the 304 plates were typically less expensive (more commonly available = quantity = reduced cost?). So if you are looking to save a few bucks the 304 steel plates should be a little cheaper.

My last BP/W I bought some webbing and all the hardware then strung the harness myself. Knowing how to do this, selecting a stiffer webbing, etc. will save you a few dollars. Some harness will cost more because you are paying for the branding. Some will have an extra feature, e.g. snitch system allows you to quickly loosen or tighten the harness or deluxe harness have buckles you can open and close the shoulder straps (some feel this is a failure point; others like being able to set the harness up to be tight and take it off my releasing a buckle). These extra features will cost you more.

Different size wings will cost differently. You want to make sure you pick a wing that works for you. I like donut wings because I can roll air bubbles around to shoulder or butt dump valve depending on which orientation I am in. You might want to borrow/rent different style wings to see what you like.

Having a built in tank stabilizer means you won't need a single tank adaptor (STA). This will reduce cost but it means you might have to weight some more lead.

I use a 10 pound steel plate with a STA and steel tanks at home because I dive 7mm, 14mm or drysuit. The buoyancy of my exposure wear means I want my gear to be heavy. When traveling, I want my gear to be lighter. Less weight in the luggage, I typically wear a 2.5mm wetsuit. So my travel BP/W is an aluminum plate and the wing has a built in tank stabilizer. Even if I need more weight, I'd rather use lead at the dive site than haul a STA and a 10 pound plate in my luggage.

Also, some wings have things like bungee cord to collapse it when you let the air out. Makes you more streamlined (or so they claim). My travel wing has bungee on the inside of the wing cover. This is supposed to be very streamlined. I didn't buy it for that reason. It was inexpensive but still well built. People tell me the bungee will make it hard/impossible to orally inflate the wing. If you cannot orally inflate a wing with bungee, you need to do more cardio.

There is probably more I'm not thinking of but this is what pops to mind.

Darrell

P.S. jut thought of one more thing... don't buy a wing which is too large. For single tank I use a 27 pound wing for cold water and 25 pound wing for warm water. I don't think I'd ever go above 32 pounds for a single tank. For aluminum cold water I might drop 5 pounds and for warm water I can probably drop another 3 or 4 pounds. This is my personal buoyancy characteristics. Yours will vary.
Would a 25 pound wing provide enough lift to dive a hp100 with a 40 CF bailout. I dive 3/2 wetsuit with 6 pounds of weight.

Would a 25 pound wing provide enough lift to dive a hp100 with a 40 CF bailout. I dive 3/2 wetsuit with 6 pounds of weight.
25lb is plenty for your setup. Normally the sling tank isn't part of the calculations but with your thin wetsuit and the amount of lead you're carrying, you've got enough lift for that too.
For comparison, I use a 30lb wing with my drysuit+400g undergarments, HP100, 5lb steel backplate, 8lb weight plates and 10lb on my weight belt.

"Best" will bring up the Chevy/Ford/dodge arguments. Best is what works best for you. I love my Dive Rite Transpac/ DR Venture Wing because it's so damn comfortable. I also have a DR Transplate harness on a hog aluminum plate and a Hog 23# tropical wing. It dives fine with a steel hp120 tank and a skin.

Brand wise....Deep Sea Supply does some things that other brands don't, mainly different size plates and a reputation for extreme quality. My unqualified opinion is that they are right up there with Halcyon or Oxychec....if not better. The owner is also a member of this site and frequently contributes his knowledge to all kinds of BP/W questions. If nothing more, DSS deserves a look in your search. I believe that they will customize a package to you needs if you give them a call. My HOG plate is the standard size and I wish it was longer I'm 6'1" and the waist belt is a little high. The DSS long plate would be nice.

I have never been unhappy with anything from Dive Gear Express. Their selection of reasonably priced hardware will allow you to set up whatever harness you end up with exactly how you want it. That's the beauty of a BP/w setup, if you want 14 D rings, bent, straight, or fixed...you can do it. Great company, tested products, and fan-damn-tastic service.

Dive Right In Scuba may run some insane Black Friday specials if you can wait that long on HOG plates and wings. I got mine for less than a used price, and picked up a blemished DR Transplate through North East Scuba Supply for $60 I think.

So who makes the best? Quality wise, I'd say DSS would be in the running. Best bang for the buck? DGX, Diverite, or Hog would get my vote. I do enjoy a comfort harness as opposed to a true hogatharian set up. The shoulder buckle is easier on my shoulder but I'm old, high mileage, and paying for a body that suffered years of abuse in my younger days. For easier donning, DSS has their "Glide" setup that may even be better than a shoulder buckle. Never tried it though.

Unfortunately, my "best" may not be yours, and my "best" today may not be the same next year. So many choices and combinations, and new products coming out almost daily. Research your options and make your choice....with the brands discussed, it's really hard to go wrong.

Good luck,
Jay

25lb is plenty for your setup. Normally the sling tank isn't part of the calculations but with your thin wetsuit and the amount of lead you're carrying, you've got enough lift for that too.
For comparison, I use a 30lb wing with my drysuit+400g undergarments, HP100, 5lb steel backplate, 8lb weight plates and 10lb on my weight belt.
Ty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom