What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't feel you have to buy a bag from some dive brand unless there's a particular bag you want for some reason. They're sometimes more expensive than you would pay for a "regular" bag but not necessarily better for the purpose. And as far as advertising there's dive gear inside - it's unclear how much that really matters, but there's certainly no benefit to it.

Obviously lighter is better. If there's any chance you will wind up on a liveaboard or even a small plane eventually, some kind of soft duffel style works out better that a "suitcase." In my experience soft luggage also takes abuse better than a case - better to bend than break. We used to travel with some hard cases we already had and they got gradually trashed, which was just as well as they'd be too heavy now anyway. But if you've already got a suitcase and it works - your stuff fits, it's within weight limits, and you're not going to have to stow it someplace small after you unpack - then it's fine.

We're using Eagle Creek ORV rolling duffels, with a bit of a hard bottom, pull out handle and built in compression straps. These are a heavier than a plain duffel, but a whole lot easier to get around with than our previous sloppy rolling duffels with no cart-like thing built in. So we consider it a good compromise. We've had them for a bunch of years now and they're holding up well. (Had a problem with one of the handles but they have a lifetime warranty on stuff like that and fixed in no problem.) So it depends if easier to carry/features or cheap/light is more important to you.

I see many say dive caddy. The way it is constructed, it is really meant for carry-on, no protection of any kind. However, the size is grossly over the carry on limit. You are technically sneaking the bag onto the airplane. I know many have success, but for the one time you get caught, you will have to check your dive caddy, and possibily will break something.

The solution is to put anything breakable(computers,lights, etc) in the turtle bag which you can then detach and carry-on. The only time I couldn't fit it in an overhead bin was on an express jet, and that was remedied by removing the spider bag. Problem solved.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2012 at 01:50 PM ----------

There is a good thread on a DIY dive caddy made out of a BP and an Ikea bag. Great idea in a pinch.

Dive Caddy is great, they are a lot easier than you would think. Otherwise StalSac makes a great bag.

The solution is to put anything breakable(computers,lights, etc) in the turtle bag which you can then detach and carry-on. The only time I couldn't fit it in an overhead bin was on an express jet, and that was remedied by removing the spider bag. Problem solved.

What about your regulator? It sure will not fit into the turtle bag. Also, it is NOT about whether it will fit into overhead bin. The problem can happen before you even get on airplane, ie, at security or at the gate because it is bigger (longer) than the carry on limit very noticeably.

On, and the real funny thing is even the demo video by dive caddy kind of suggest you to "sneak" it in. Please tell me that I am wrong

What about your regulator? It sure will not fit into the turtle bag. Also, it is NOT about whether it will fit into overhead bin. The problem can happen before you even get on airplane, ie, at security or at the gate because it is bigger (longer) than the carry on limit very noticeably.

On, and the real funny thing is even the demo video by dive caddy kind of suggest you to "sneak" it in. Please tell me that I am wrong

My reg goes in my "personal bag" with my cameras, or goes in her carryon.

Yes you can pack 75# worth of stuff in a DC, but I do not. Mine is packed right now, and without the turtle bag, measures a combined 45" and weighs 37#. Slightly overweight for a carryon, but not grossly so, and mainly because of the SS plate.

But my point was, there is nothing in there that I gave to worry about breaking. Anything breakable is either in the turtle bag or my personal bag.

Mine is packed right now, and without the turtle bag, measures a combined 45" and weighs 37#. Slightly overweight for a carryon, but not grossly so, and mainly because of the SS plate.

What you mean by combine 45"? Is it X+Y+Z? Can you show me a picture? Weight is usually not my concern because they can't tell by looking at it. The DC I have seen, they are usually too long, noticeably longer the limit

Have note flow with these yet, but my son and I just picked these up at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-X-Large-30-2-Section-Rolling-Duffel-Bag/13269107

Fins and wetsuit fit in bottom section, backplate, wing and regs in top. Accessories in side pocket. Would need to add some protection for regs if flying and possibility of needing to check. Looks like it would fit in overhead through, but have not measured it "officially".

$29!

It is not grossly over sized for carry on. I have measured it myself with my gear in it. There is no sneaking a bag on if it is the right size. If it is the right size you will not have to check it and you will not get things broken.

When you pack it and compress things it will meet the size requirements.

Back
Top Bottom