What is the best way to tie bungee ends together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overlap the ends, next to each other, tie together with two zip ties, the melted end of the bungee is large and hard, it will make it almost imposable for the bungee to slip out

overlap the ends, next to each other, tie together with two zip ties, the melted end of the bungee is large and hard, it will make it almost imposable for the bungee to slip out

OK. Now I understand. I wasn't thinking about melting the ends first.
I really appreciate everyone's response on how the ends are connected. I am making the change from recreational to tech. What a learning curve!

Carrie

I use redundant fastenings on anything that would be lost if a fastening fails. Two bungee loops on all gauge mounts. Two independent caveline loops on all lights. They ALMOST never fail but....

A drop of glue works well on knots but lin and bungee can still fail. Quality zip ties will hold better than the cheap ones. It is still a good idea to double them up if you want to avoid having to handle their failure. And then inspect them periodically to catch incipient failures.

Picture a narrow band of plastic with little ridges all the way down one side. One end is tapered and the other end has a square box with a little slit in it. You loop the tapered side around whatever it is that you are cable tying and insert the tapered end into the slit and the little ridges slide through the slit but won't slide back out. There you have it. Best definition of a cable tie I could come up with.

Picture a narrow band of plastic with little ridges all the way down one side. One end is tapered and the other end has a square box with a little slit in it. You loop the tapered side around whatever it is that you are cable tying and insert the tapered end into the slit and the little ridges slide through the slit but won't slide back out. There you have it. Best definition of a cable tie I could come up with.

Not a bad word picture.

I will point out that there is another type of cable tie without the ratchet notches, they use a flexible metal tang inside the head of the tie that digs into the band.

These type of ties are generally both more expensive and more secure.

This is what we use at DSS to secure corrugated inflator hoses in our Wings.

Tobin

WTI294.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom