What is the common name for this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blesi varney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I took this photo at 5 Graves (Maui). Pauline Severns said it was a type of a sap sucking slug called Cyerce Elegans but does anybody know what the common name would be?
DSC_1485smlwtmk.jpg

Here is another shot. It was about 1 and 1/2 inches long and the size of a half dollar.
DSC_1100smlwtmk.jpg

Thanks in advance.:)

No clue, but that is one wierd/cool/beautiful/ugly/strange looking critter. Nice shot of it too...

If nothing else maybe you can give it a common name eh?

Given the latin name, perhaps Elegant Sap-Sucking Slug?

Very nice photo... and an interesting find, too!

WOW!! Blesi, you are so good at finding things! Take care and tell Brad HI from me and Bob! Maggi

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to the Name That Critter forum where the SB critter experts are more likely to find it :wink:

Very cool find Blesi!!

The 'official' common name is the "Scalloped Cyerce."
Locals often have names that differ from the 'official' ones, however...
Rick

Thanks you guys. I thought it was a very cool find, too. I actually came upon it accidentally. I was watching a spotted eagle ray turning over some rocks to feed on shellfish under the rocks. Of course, I don't have a picture of the spotted eagle ray because I had my 60mm lens on. When it left, I went over to the rocks to check out what it was eating and found these. There must have been about 5 of them that I could see.

Uncle Ricky, thank you. That's a perfect "official" common name for it..:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom