What Is The Deal With New Versus Old Posts??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The site used to only bold type the new posts that had been posted since my last login. Now, everything is bold type for the last several weeks, whether I have opened that post or not. Now it takes me longer when scanning topics to see if it is old or not. They do not appear to ever change back to regular type.

I agree, I have to scan 9 pages of posts to see if I recognize new versus and old posts; it was quicker, easier, and more accurate before the format changes were made.

For me, read post are in regular type, unread are bold. Could it be something in your settings?

I think the unread post indicator (i.e. bold type) doesn't get reset unless you actually click to go to that thread. Otherwise, it'll remain bolded forever. The way to clear this is to click "Mark Forums Read" on the Community sub-menu.

Here's what I do:
1) Click "New Posts" under the Community sub-menu to see the bolded list of new posts (9 pages max).
2) Go through the posts, find the ones I'm interested in, and ctrl-Click to open each one in a new tab.
3) Click "Mark Forums Read" on the "New Posts" tab and then close it.
4) Read the new posts tab-by-tab.
5) Rinse and repeat as necessary (i.e., often) :wink:

Just ran an experiment. Used back page to return to listings of posts. This thread was still in bold. I then clicked the relaod page button and the post heading was no longer in bold.

I think the unread post indicator (i.e. bold type) doesn't get reset unless you actually click to go to that thread.

This is correct. For some of us, it's a bug, for others it's a feature. Personally I like it.

Back
Top Bottom