What is the difference between Scubapro and Halcyon regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G'day,

My understanding is that there is a popular OEM of regulators in Italy and that this manufacture doesn't sell their regulators under their own brand. Various brands source 1st and 2nd stages from this manufacturer. This does not mean all 1st and 2nd stages from that brand are sourced from this OEM.

For example, I know that Cressi manufacturers most of their first and second stages in-house in Italy. However, I believe they also source one 1st stage from this OEM.

It's my understanding that the Cressi AC25, Scubapro MK25 and Halcyon H75P are the same model 1st stage, with cosmetic changes, sourced from this OEM.

I have no idea as to what other regs from Scubapro and Halcyon are manufactured by this OEM, from other OEMs, or in-house.

The dive industry is a tangled web of manufacturers. Lots of brands that most divers consider top manufacturers actually outsource much of the actual manufacturing to OEMs from Europe and Asia. For each line of products like regs, dive computers, BCDs, fins, masks, wetsuits etc. it may range from all to none actually being made in-house.

My understanding is that something like 70% of wetsuits sold are made by one OEM company in Asia. The brands may supply their own designs for manufacture, or they may source an off-the-shelf design with their own branding on it.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

G'day,

My understanding is that there is a popular OEM of regulators in Italy and that this manufacture doesn't sell their regulators under their own brand. Various brands source 1st and 2nd stages from this manufacturer. This does not mean all 1st and 2nd stages from that brand are sourced from this OEM.

For example, I know that Cressi manufacturers most of their first and second stages in-house in Italy. However, I believe they also source one 1st stage from this OEM.

It's my understanding that the Cressi AC25, Scubapro MK25 and Halcyon H75P are the same model 1st stage, with cosmetic changes, sourced from this OEM.

I have no idea as to what other regs from Scubapro and Halcyon are manufactured by this OEM, from other OEMs, or in-house.

The dive industry is a tangled web of manufacturers. Lots of brands that most divers consider top manufacturers actually outsource much of the actual manufacturing to OEMs from Europe and Asia. For each line of products like regs, dive computers, BCDs, fins, masks, wetsuits etc. it may range from all to none actually being made in-house.

My understanding is that something like 70% of wetsuits sold are made by one OEM company in Asia. The brands may supply their own designs for manufacture, or they may source an off-the-shelf design with their own branding on it.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.
The factory in Casarza Ligure is a real Scubapro factory, They do not produce OEM equipment....
It is also the location of one of the engineering centers of Scubapro, where some of the engineers designing they regs work. You know that the initial letter of Scubapro regs is the initial of the surname of the engineer:
A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia
As you see by their names, many of them are Italians, and work in the Casarza Ligure large factory...
Here a Street Maps photos of it:
Screenshot-2021-01-19-at-10-37-46.png

In Italy, indeed, there are some other factories manufacturing regulators, which are later rebranded in various ways. Some of them are close clones of SP regs...

Regarding the similitude between the Cressi AC25 and the Scubapro MK25, they are different, albeit they share the same operation principles and general geometry. Here the cross-sections of both regs.
Cressi AC25:
AC25.png

Scubapro MK25:
MK25-copy.jpg

If you look, many parts are done "differently enough" so that the first one is not a clone of the second one...
Finally it must be said that, while the Scubapro MK25 is rated for cold water diving according to EC standard, the Cressi AC25 is NOT rated for cold water, and the manual specifies it can only be used in warm water (T>10°C).

Interesting...

The factory in Casarza Ligure is a real Scubapro factory, They do not produce OEM equipment....
It is also the location of one of the engineering centers of Scubapro, where some of the engineers designing they regs work. You know that the initial letter of Scubapro regs is the initial of the surname of the engineer:
A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia
As you see by their names, many of them are Italians, and work in the Casarza Ligure large factory...
View attachment 637196

In Italy, indeed, there are some other factories manufacturing regulators, which are later rebranded in various ways. Some of them are close clones of SP regs...
Who would be the engineer for the X650?

A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia
View attachment 637196

Hi Angelo,

Nice cloud over the Scubapro factory.

There is two significant differences between the two. The exhaust for the G260 is slightly larger and the exhaust T has been modified for a smoother release of bubbles. The G260 has a micro adjust; G260V does not. V stands for vintage (look). Some people - those who liked the metal second stages - did not like the polymer plastic of the G250, or any second stage for that matter, so it was suggested (by a SP employee) that some metal be added.

A better comparison for the G260 is the Apeks XTX200 second stage. Those two are very similar with minor differences on the inside and, of course, the cosmetics on the outside.

Dinosaur thread, the G250V exhaust valve is slightly larger than the G260. I've played extensively with their exhaust valves.

In fact of the G series the G250V has the largest exhaust valve.

Dinosaur thread, the G250V exhaust valve is slightly larger than the G260. I've played extensively with their exhaust valves.

In fact of the G series the G250V has the largest exhaust valve.
Since you have ressurected this thread. Mentioning exhaust valves, are the exhaust outlet diameters different or just the valve diameter?

Of the G series, not ever having dived with the HP, IMO, the plain old G250 is the best of the bunch. All of them, including the G260 have 30% glass fiber reinforced resin so they are not simply plastic like most other second stages and are therefore exceedingly rigged even more so than their metal cousins.

Regarding the G260, I compared the valves to the G250 but since none of my G250 regs were purchased new I have no certainty that the valves are OE. I do notice that the G260 has a very, very slightly stiffer exhaust and it is measureable on my Magnehelic. But, since my two G260s are brand new I am loath to adjust that vertical vane that seems to impinge upon the valve and restrict it's flow. At least not without understanding why Scubapro added (changed to) that vertical vane, the G250 being a horizontal vane.

Without getting into firearms, modern "plastic" pistols are known to take a beating that would render many/most all metal pistols non-functional. I am of a mind that properly designed and constructed fiber reinforced resin second stages are plenty durable in use and superior in fact to soft brass.

I'm talking about valves themselves, but I'm pretty sure the case outlet diameter is the same between the G250 and G250V is the same but is smaller on the G260.

You cannot use a G250V valve on a G250 as the valve will catch on the case and causes water ingress. You can use a G260 valve on both the G250V and G250 without issue. It fits better on a G250, case variation, and although does work with a G250V it looks fractionally smaller in coverage.

Having said that, I've used the G260 valve on multiple G250V and never had an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom