What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny?
That`s a damaged boat that has been sunken, dating from the early 1940s made of pine.
Original quote "what isn't rotten is broken and what isn't broken is rotten"
Maybe the only things worth any money are the 2 "new" Volvo engines fhat have been sitting in the hulk for over 10 years.
Michael

Look at the wikipedia article.
What you quoted was a press blurb from 2016 and since then nobody has put a nickle in it. It's still a floating wreck with almost new engines, but everything else was worn out in 1996 when it was rammed and sank. the 23 years since then have also not done it any good.
Tow it out to a depth of 50M off the french med coast and open the seacocks to let that wreck die with honor!

Michael

Look at the wikipedia article.
What you quoted was a press blurb from 2016 ...Michael

Sorry: I have just found the earlier date "4:18PM GMT 08 Jan 2016" in the article.

But the Daily Telegraph put that 3y 9m -old news on its website dated Sunday 15 September 2019 at the right end of its title line as if it was redhot fresh news!?!?!? The Daily Telegraph is normally a reputable broadsheet newspaper. Sorry.

Unless that title line always displays the current date and not the date of the news :: very confusing.

I have now emailed to the Daily Telegraph complaining about this recycling of old news as new.

I fear that's just another episode of a very bad exploitation movie about the sea serpent. I've seen the Calypso around 2002, in Lapalisse haven in la Rochelle. It was already in a sorry state : it was some years after the wrecking, nothing had been done and the wreck had been pilfered. Then it has been moved from places to to places, with tons of promises and bright prospects each time : cross my heart, hope to die.

My opinion about that poor boat, which had been iconic for me since I was a little boy : give her a burial at sea and let her rest in peace, it will be much better than the scrapyard she's heading for...

Sorry for being gloomy...

I'm afraid that the Cousteau Society has been guilty of selective reporting, probably to increase donations.

Here is the latest from Wikipedia:
"In September 2017 a fire damaged the Calypso at the shipyard near Istanbul, Turkey where her refitting has been in progress since April 2016. Only the newly fitted wooden parts of the ship were affected, not the original historical structural elements.[17]

Heritage Malta announced on 21 February 2019 that a selection of objects will be loaned by the Cousteau Foundation for an exhibition at the Malta Maritime Museum in 2021. A wooden rib taken from the original vessel, included in this exhibition, will subsequently be donated to Malta's national collection.[18]

A newspaper report on 15 September 2019[19] says that Calypso will be towed to Genoa in Italy, where it will take 12 to 18 months to make the Calypso shipshape, and that it will sail again"

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom