What is the "normal" cost for the Nitrox class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid $120 for the PADI book course at my LDS. Book, lecture, hands on computer and analizer, test, and card all included. No tables. No dives required. Not Rocket Science.

I wish class prices were like airline tickets. The price you see is out the door, all materials, instruction, certification fees, etc., all in. It makes it easier to compare costs with shops like it is comparing tickets with different airlines.

I know some don’t shop around for the best prices, but it may matter to others when it comes to how well they jive with a shop or their instructors’ personalities. I would pay a little more to go with a shop where I felt most comfortable. Some are more price sensitive than others - it’s all personal preference.

My wife got her nitrox for 150 out the door. books and card to boot. I did not mind that because it was a one on one class. I also don't mind trainers haveing some sort of cost standards set to base prices from. such as 50$ per person per day plus costs that would make a nitrox card around 100 bucks if in a group. A group of 10 he would get 500 a day plus costs. I still can not fathom a 300$ nitrox course in any format when all you have to do is watch a dvd do a quiz take a tes and if you have a puter enter the fo2 in it after testing. Her class was complete in content and less than 2 hours.

Well that is why I am asking about it, because there is quite a bit of variance between the 3 prices I have seen, from $300 to $150. And I don't know what is closer to being 'normal'. If the normal price was around $300, then clearly the $150 price would be one of those 'if it is too good to be true...' situations.

I think I speak for many of us when I say I am very curious about that $300 course. Does it include dives? Is it an agency/course that includes "extra" content and/or skills above and beyond what we consider the basics? Is the card gold plated?
Seems likely there is more to it for that price.

There is in fact an online nitrox course that presents the material and costs about $100 all in, including the card. Unfortunately, that card is not recognized by most places that provide nitrox. There’s also a very abbreviated discover nitrox offering from PADI that essentially show you how to use the analyzer, what the depth limit is for the provided mix, and has you sign the logbook. But that requires an instructor to dive with you, much like discover scuba. If it’s really just about showing the card, then make one yourself like you did in high school to get beer, and then show it to an unsophisticated shop. Nobody will be the wiser until something goes wrong, and even then, maybe not.

Well that is why I am asking about it, because there is quite a bit of variance between the 3 prices I have seen, from $300 to $150. And I don't know what is closer to being 'normal'. If the normal price was around $300, then clearly the $150 price would be one of those 'if it is too good to be true...' situations.

I paid $75 US for mine at a local SDI shop. Was quoted other prices at other shops, most were around $200 and the highest was $225 from a private PADI instructor.

I thought the quality was excellent. @stuartv was one of the instructors. I read the book, then we took a 2 hour class where we discussed the book, other random things, then analyzed some tanks.

My opinion here is that there's a small amount of information you need to use Nitrox safely in recreational diving limits, and it would take a really poor instructor or a very disinterested student to not walk out of a class knowing it. Everything else is really neat and I found it interesting, but it was mostly background.

So for some stuff I could see shopping around for a great instructor because someone that is great at teaching, say, drysuit will make you a better drysuit diver than a poor instructor, but for Nitrox you're really just paying to learn a simple set of procedures and practice on some real tanks. So there should be no FOMO by taking a cheaper option.

I paid $75 US for mine at a local SDI shop. Was quoted other prices at other shops, most were around $200 and the highest was $225 from a private PADI instructor.

I thought the quality was excellent. @stuartv was one of the instructors. I read the book, then we took a 2 hour class where we discussed the book, other random things, then analyzed some tanks.

My opinion here is that there's a small amount of information you need to use Nitrox safely in recreational diving limits, and it would take a really poor instructor or a very disinterested student to not walk out of a class knowing it. Everything else is really neat and I found it interesting, but it was mostly background.

So for some stuff I could see shopping around for a great instructor because someone that is great at teaching, say, drysuit will make you a better drysuit diver than a poor instructor, but for Nitrox you're really just paying to learn a simple set of procedures and practice on some real tanks. So there should be no FOMO by taking a cheaper option.
I am actually most likely going to do Stuart’s next one if the time and location are something I can make. I have been chatting with him via pm the past few days. I’m looking at alternatives if that doesn’t work for me though.

I received my Nitrox training and card from the principle author of the NAUI nitrox manual. This was several years ago, but the training, including the card, was only $75. I do not think that I "cheaped out" on this. I truly think that I sought out and received some of the best instruction available. When my children and grandchildren were certified, the 'all in' costs (different instructor) were $125 for what could be argued as slightly less in training value than my original course.

Paying as much as $300, even today, is absurd. Although, from an agency standpoint, it is a case of "our training, our rules, (and costs)" - your enjoyment of nitrox is held hostage until you pay our fee or you do not get your card.

Guys, this is not rocket surgery. It doesn't have to be expensive to be of excellent quality. A little study of some gas laws, physiology, and tables or computer operation is all it takes.

I think I speak for many of us when I say I am very curious about that $300 course. Does it include dives? Is it an agency/course that includes "extra" content and/or skills above and beyond what we consider the basics? Is the card gold plated?
Seems likely there is more to it for that price.
No dives. I'm guessing it is due to being in a classroom for around 5 hours and time = money for the instructor there.

As I said, the class fee was $125 + material costs + certification card fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom