What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found 2 masks and snorkels on the same day in the channel islands. One belonged to a guy on the boat.... the other one was at about 89 feet in the middle of a brittle star field that we stopped at to get a deep dive in for some AOW students. I am just going to assume that one fell off the side of another boat....

i've had some students drop their gear that i had to retrieve. i've seen the cushion of an old sofa discarded as trash. i've also seen a chicken & a cat killed mafia-style, they were tied to a rock & dropped in. hahahahaha :D :rofl3:

KansaiKitsune:
The weirdest thing I've ever found underwater is on the Black Bart off Panama City Beach. Some pranksters have chained a fake plastic skeleton up in the wheelhouse and put a mask and snorkel on him. It's designed to scare divers who go there for their open water certs. :)
We got some pictures of him on my last night dive at the Black Bart. The weirdest thing I've found? A big dead remora on the Black Bart.

Years ago, my friend and I did a jump over the stern of the Emperor at Isle Royale. I was 170'+, death defying stuff in those days. Divers tied up to the mast and swung a nice arc around the stern and had been losing stuff for years. When we hit the bottom we started finding dive gear eveywhere and soon had so much we started making piles of it on the bottom as we couldn't carry it all. Dive lights, gauges, weight belts, movie cameras, beer bags, it was all there. Everytime you saw a bump on the bottom you went to see what is was. I saw a big bump and went over and it was one of the crew members laying face down on the bottom. Flesh on him down to hs elbows and knees.
I waved for Bill to come over and we took a look and then continued on our search and recovery. We got everything upto the surface put new batteries in the camera and filmed all the gear we found and forwarded the camera (film) to its owner. What a surprise he must have had when he got the film developed!

The next week I went back to get some pictures of the body, as no one believes these stories, and found him. This time his head was laying five feet away. Investigation proved Bill was showing him to one of his friends and went to point to him with his fin and accidently kicked his head and it went rolling across the bottom. I keep reminding Bill there will be a special place somewhere for him when he dies.

I keep asking Bill to get me a copy of the picture we took that day of us on the stern of his boat with all the gear we found, it is one of the few pictures of myself I really like!

I found some shark fins. No sharks, just fins. The fish weren't even eating them, so I assume they had been tossed overboard when somebody of influence got too close. Didn't have a camera and I surely didn't want to pick any up to show to the rangers as we were in a state park. Must of been about 20 fins total. Very sad.

akscubaduck1:
how about a toilet. I found it at about 60' next to an old boot

Our local quarry has a toilet holding down the rope to the deep spot. I think that was on purpose, though.

My last trip to Cay Sal, someone found a hand. glad it wasn't me.

i could be romantic and say that i found the love of my life underwater..... (now everyone go awwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom