what is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I first posted this question on the Gear forum but got no responses. Then I tried Basic Scuba Discussions http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/372892-what.html, and I got a few guesses but no one really knows. So I`m trying this forum to see if a company rep might know what this bag is for. If not, well, three strikes and I`m out.
My husband bought an Akona gear bag around 1998 when he first took up diving. It's a large one (we can fit both BC's, both sets of fins, and then in outside pockets, both sets of boots). We are currently packing for a trip (haven't been diving since last March, can't wait!) and in the pocket where we put our boots, I found this other bag tucked inside. I guess it's been there since the gear bag was new and we never noticed it. It's a lightweight nylon drawstring bag, likely for carrying gear to the boat or beach, but at the bottom end there is a heavy cordura-type nylon panel attached, and at the end of the panel there are 3 D rings. (see photo). We cannot figure out what this panel and D rings are for. I tried the Akona web site, but I guess the bag is too old and is no longer listed. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Attachments

• DSC08837.jpg
    DSC08837.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 189
This bag in the picture is an accessory bag that can be used as a security sleeve. The d-rings were designed to be attached to hold the security sleeve in place. We hope this helps with your Akona museum piece.
Safe diving,
Team Akona

We hope this helps with your Akona museum piece.
Safe diving,
Team Akona
LOL.... the bag still holds our gear just fine.... you should take that as an endorsement!
Unfortunately your answer doesn't really describe what to do with the flap and D rings. I just can't picture it. I googled "Akona security sleeve" and got several hits showing gear bags that feature a security sleeve, but still can't figure out exactly where the sleeve fits and what it does. In my case, the filled gear bag would certainly not fit inside this extra drawstring bag, and I don't see what the D rings attach to. Never mind.....

It looks more like a sort of dive tarp you could use for gearing up??? I know some bags used to come with something similar. Put it down to protect your gear from dirt/ground.

Back
Top Bottom