What is your preferred strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krigg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to underwater photography and am planning to get a nauticam housing for my Sony a7iii. What is everyone’s personal preference on strobes. I am looking to use them in TTL as that looks to be the preferred method. Thank you

ULTRAMAX ULTRAPOWER UXDS-1 Digital Underwater Strobe Head is my preferred strobe because they're the cheapest and worst strobe available, surprisingly much brighter than "better" mid-tier strobes, and dead simple to use. They're actually quite capable and reliable. Takes AA batteries. 60% of the time they fire every time.

I can wholly reccomend Inon and Sea and Sea strobes . . .

I used to have a pair of Inon D2000 Strobes. They were amazing and if they were not discontinued, I would recommend them in a heartbeat. They were reliable and their TTL (or as they referred to it "S-TTL") resulted in just about perfect exposure the vast majority of the time. The light beam was consistent and uniform. The D2000 has been replaced by the more powerful Z-330 strobe.

D2000type4.jpg

Inon D2000 Strobe

z-330strobe.jpg

Inon Z-330 Strobe

Over the years, I have migrated to a system that would be small enough that I could fit my camera, a couple lenses, my housing a port & my strobes in my carry on. The D2000's were just a little too big, so I downsized to a pair of Inon S2000 strobes. They are tiny and meet my needs. They do not seem to be as powerful as the D2000's, but they are sufficient for most images.

INON_S_2000_440__59948.1453091190.jpg

Inon S2000 Strobe

If you are looking for the most versatility, and size isn't a factor, I would recommend the Z-330. If size is a factor, then the S2000 is a small, relatively powerful strobe that will meet the needs of most photographers.

I am looking to use them in TTL as that looks to be the preferred method.
Not everybody agrees.....but it depends greatly on your usual subject matter and environmental conditions.

I've used Ikelite DS160s for many years in manual. They're heavy, but I don't need to have several batteries on hand. The rechargeable battery on each strobe has lasted more than a thousand dives, fire every time, and last forever. Even after a full day/night of diving and a few hundred photos, they have never drained down and still fire.

My wife and me started four years ago with four Sea&Sea YS-D2. They provide good light, but turned out to be prone to breaking (burning of flash tube; faulty switch) - only two of them remained until now. Since two years I have three Inon Z330 - at least as good, even better, at similar pricing. Processing looks much more solid than Sea&Sea, no issues until now...

My wife sometimes shoots TTL, I always manual...

Wolfgang

I use DS160’s like Phil, super reliable, plenty of power and have never not fired when I press the shutter. They provide a fairly nice light as well.

I've used Ikelite DS160s for many years in manual. They're heavy, but I don't need to have several batteries on hand. The rechargeable battery on each strobe has lasted more than a thousand dives, fire every time, and last forever. Even after a full day/night of diving and a few hundred photos, they have never drained down and still fire.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have one quick question. Do you know if these can be set up to use an optical trigger (Fiber Optic)? Thanks.

+1 for Ikelite strobes. Have had one flood because the o-ring fell out and I did not notice - strobe still works battery not so much. Also failed to flash properly for a dive but that was the housing not the strobe. Otherwise bulletproof over about 12 years. At the moment have one DS125 and one DS160.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom