What kills ya? I'd like to avoid if possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving has a better safety record (per 1,000 participants) than bowling!! Not sure how many six pack-and-cigarette heart attacks were figured in there.

As one of my favorite intructors always says, "Most of diving safety is common sense!" You've had good training, so if you are considering or being offered a diving option that just doesn't seem to make sense. . . don't do it!

You are responsible for your own safety; don't give in to peer pressure to attempt things that seem unwise or beyond your abilities.

theskull

p.s. If there is air in your tank, or in a nearby buddy's tank, there is no reason to panic. You can BREATHE while you calmly handle whatever problem may arise.

Just Remember and heed all those cautions in the books you read. If you just follow instructions and stay calm, you should have not problems. That's a tall order when you are new, so just try to do the basic things well and by the book, and avoid the known risky activities.

2. It's easy to panic if the situation seems out of control to you, and that's when you might do something really stupid/fatal. Being new, you should dive with someone with lots of experience in the area you are diving. Even so, become familiar with the area yourself, in case of separation and for later recall in similar situations.

3. Dan from California published a great list of specific do's and don'ts, just follow it. You need experience and advanced training to be competent in overhead environments, as well as special equipment. You don't know what you don't know, so just avoid situations that seem unsafe to you. You'll have plenty of time to learn cave diving and wreck diving later, if you survive your first blunders doing simple things.

4. The one time I have seen someone die in the water he had a medical problem, pulmonary embolism, at the surface. I watched the rescue, they found him an hour later. We're all going to die of something, and all we can do is minimize the risks we have control over and relax about the others. I would not stress out about this, just follow the rules you learned and enjoy diving.

I think "DCS fear" is another contributing factor based on some of the accident reports that I've read. This is when someone ascends too rapidly or starts to worry that they're getting DCS symptoms and heads back down to try to "repressurize".

Also I thought I'd call out specifically that diving too deep without experience and getting narced or passing out are pretty commonly mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom