What kind of gear to invest in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mylee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newbie to the world of scuba diving and I have a few questions about gear. I have almost no knowledge of what to look for when investing into things such as wetsuits, goggles, and flippers, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm getting PADI certified in the next few months, so I want to invest in my own personal gear so I don't have to rent any, and so I can start diving right after being certified.
More specifically, I want to know where I can find a wetsuit for my body type. I'm very petite in body size, but my height is about 5'7. I weigh in between 98-104 lbs. Being super skinny and somewhat tall has made my search for a wetsuit rather difficult. It seems they're either too big or too short. Is there a specific brand/store/distributed that would have something for me? Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

I would wait to take my classes and see if I like diving before investing in gear. The rest depends on the type diving you will do...warm water or cooler clime. BCD/backplate and wing and reg is more important and that will be your major investment, and your computer. Masks need to fit your face. There are off the rack tall wet suits, or they can be custom made if you really are hard to fit, or you can do two pieces. See how your course goes first. Shops are more than happy to assist. <cha-ching>

I am 6'1" male and I find anything that is a tall usually fits MT, LT. I have a MT Bare velocity that fits rather nicely, I tried a few on in the dive shop and that one fit like a glove. My advice would be to try all the ones you want on. Whether it is the ones you like or the ones in your budget, one of them will fit the best! Where about will you be doing most of your diving as that can determine your gear choices?

And as crabby says to wait, I agree! I have been using Halcyon gear for every dive so far, because it is what my dive shop rents out. I am now 15 dives in and there are things that I like and things that I don't like, and through my own preferences I now know what I want.

Ok I will wait to see! I'll be diving in warmer climates in California and Hawaii, and possibly the Gulf of Mexico if that helps with the decision process.

Hi,

I would wait on everything else to see how it goes. The most important thing now is to get a mask that fits you the best and doesn't leak. If you can, also get some fins that fit you well and don't give you blisters. I suggest going with boots and going with open heels. They are good for warm and cold water diving. I also suggest getting a dry snorkel for your surface swims in the class. Sure beats the ones they rent that flood when there's a current and it's one more thing to worry about during your certification.

Not sure where you are in CA but even though the air temperature is warm, the water can and will still be cold to warrant 7mm wetsuits and hood. I would wait to invest in wetsuits and other gear unless you are finding that rental wetsuits fit so horribly and flood that you're freezing the whole time. You can generally tell if you go into a pool. You'll feel the water moving in and out.

It sort of does, I will be looking at cold water regs as I will be diving the great lakes, so I want to reduce the chance of a stage freezing. I don't know about that kind of consideration in Cali, I've heard you guys use 7mm wetsuits as well. The reg question might be something for a dive shop or another diver from your parts.

Ok I will wait to see! I'll be diving in warmer climates in California and Hawaii, and possibly the Gulf of Mexico if that helps with the decision process.
+1 on what outofoffice said. The water temp is due to currents. If you are diving shallower carib sites, you may not need much exposure protection. If you are diving deeper sites, or at certain times of the year, say in Coz, you may need a tad more. If you are in California or Hawaii, or somewhere like Cocos, you may need more still.

Big thanks to all of you! I'll talk to my instructors to see what they recommend as far as wetsuits, and I'll just stick to investing in a good quality mask for now. I really appreciate all of the advice and recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom