What kind of Olympus rig do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi John,

I planning on going to digital this year.
I have decided on the C-750, because of the 10X optical zoom for land shooting, and 4 Megpix, for picture quality.
My OM-1 has been rock solid for 25 years. So I hope the digitals are as good.
Can you comment on the camera, are you pleased with it?, likes, dislikes?
If you were buying again would you get same camera, and why?
How is it in the PT-018 housing?

Your comments would be appreciated.

PM me if you'd rather do this privately

Mike D

Reeveseye:
Oly C-750z with PT-018 housing.

No strobe at this time, although I hope to purchase something (looking at a YS-90) sometime this year, perhaps after reading a few user testimonials in forums like this one. In the meantime, I have an extensive history with Photoshop and have had some success using it to compensate for color shifting at depth.

Of course, I've also found you can get around the whole color shifting/lack of a flash issue if you take a lot of pictures at less than 20' deep on a sunny day... :wink:

UW:
C4040 in PT 010
2 Ike DS125s w/TTL sensors

Dry:
Canon EOS A2e
Assorted lenses covering 20mm to 400mm
AF 500 FTZ Flash
with the usual camera bag full of other "stuff"

Oly C-5050
Oly PT-015 housing
Ikelite DS-50 strobe
Manual sensor
Ikelite single arm tray
Ikelite ball and socket arm

Cozumel 2/5 to 2/13/04
:coke:

Stan

Mike:

I'll gladly tell you what I can about the camera, although I'm still familiarizing myself with it. I've had it for only a few weeks, and haven't had the time yet to sit down and learn every single one of its features inside and out like I should. I'm in the process of setting up an album on this board's photo gallery, so you'll be able to see its results for yourself shortly. But in the meantime, I can give you some first impressions.

I chose this model for the same reasons you did. I wanted something that would serve me well both above and below the surface, and the 10x zoom was an absolute must have. I've been into photography for twenty years, and my main gripe about digital cameras is the lack of versatility in their lenses (I can't wait until Canon's digital EOS camera body comes into my price range, so I can use all my good lenses again). I think you'll be impressed with the zoom on this one. In my book, having that much telephoto capability is worth the fact that the camera is only a 4 megapixels, as opposed to some of the 5mp cameras you could buy for the same price. Picture quality is excellent. I've printed out some great 11" x 14" images with absolutely no visible pixellation, even along sharp, high-contrast edges within the picture (at about 160dpi of resolution). With my experience in Adobe Photoshop, I think I could get away with a 12" x 18" on a good day, maybe even a 16" x 20" if I used the camera's pixel interpolation feature that pulls a little cheat in order to virtually double your image size. Like every digital camera I've ever seen, it records images a little dark, but that's easily fixed in Photoshop or any other decent graphics program.

My favorite thing about it is its versatility. You can set this thing on absolute auto, where you just aim it and push the button with no further thought about settings. Alternately, you can set it to full manual, controlling the shutter speed, aperture, and even the ISO. Especially handy for the underwater aspect of our hobby is its customizable setting memory, which allows you to program different setting combinations which can then be recalled at the touch of a button - a handy feature for the sometimes tricky settings subsurface photography requires. It also has several levels of automation in between, such as settings that allow you to control only one aspect of the camera such as shutter speed, and it adjusts the rest of your settings around your manual input. You can even control how bright the internal flash fires, which is useful for macro work (this camera has some NICE macro settings, too).

Although I don't have a lot of use for it, another nice feature is its video capability. I got a nice mini-movie of my wife getting swarmed by fish as she was feeding them at about 20' deep off Catalina the other day. Of course, even at 20' there was a significant blue shift in the color tones, but that's to be expected since I don't have a floodlight. Still, it's a fun thing to be able to take mini-movies of your dive from time to time. Don't make them too long, though - the movies are recorded in Quick-Time .MOV format, and eat up a lot of memory (I have a 256mb card).

Dislikes? Not really. I've noticed that it sometimes has difficulty autofocusing if the telephoto is zoomed all the way in, but I'm not yet ready to call that a design flaw. I'm still learning about the camera, and I'm suspicious that the problem might still have a bit to do with operator error. The camera also has a manual focus feature, though, so I'm not too worried if it turns out that the autofocus doesn't always do what I want.

As far as the PT-018 housing is concerned, I like it. It’s easy to use and seems solidly constructed. It’s rated to a depth of 130’. I’ve taken it on five dives as of this post, but not below 60’ yet. So far, so good. It performed flawlessly on each dive, and not the slightest bit of water made it into the housing.

Would I buy it again? Yes, absolutely. From what I’ve learned of it so far, it has met or exceeded my expectations in every way. But bear in mind that my answer is based on less than a month of experience with the system.

I’ll post more as I learn more, which is an ongoing process since this camera has a LOT of features I haven’t fully explored yet. If you have any specific questions, I’ll be glad to answer them. In the meantime, I hope this post helped.

Here's a cautionary tale --
I have an Oly C50 and PT-014, which I got last fall in a mad rush before a Cayman trip. I like it well enough, but after I got back I discovered this board and started reading about (and seeing pics taken with) the Oly 5050. So after hearing me moan about it, my wife (who has a Nikon N90S set up with an Ikelite housing, a sony video w/housing, and sea & sea MX-5, went out and bought me the 5050 and pt 0-15 for Christmas. It won't be getting wet until June (T&C Aggressor), so in the meantime we have far more camera gear than anyone could ever need!!!

Seth

Mike:

I got my photo gallery up and running. If you want to see some examples of what the camera can do, I posted some of my more passable efforts. Hopefully I'll be able to add some more in a week or two.

I have recently bought a C5060 with the PT-020 housing specifically for use on a liveaboard trip off Pemba, East Africa later in Feb 2004. As I am new to underwater photography I'm going to keep it basic this time and won't be taking a strobe so I wonder whether anybody has put together a selection of "mymode" settings for use with the internal flash unit? Yours hopefully. Bruce

brucem:
I have recently bought a C5060 with the PT-020 housing specifically for use on a liveaboard trip off Pemba, East Africa later in Feb 2004. As I am new to underwater photography I'm going to keep it basic this time and won't be taking a strobe so I wonder whether anybody has put together a selection of "mymode" settings for use with the internal flash unit? Yours hopefully. Bruce

Hi Bruce, welcome to ScubaBoard!

See this post helpful oly websites, I think the 4th one down has suggestions for "mymode" settings.

U/W

Oly C5050
PT-015 housing
2 Epoque DS-150 strobes
older ocean-brite tray and arms
512mb Rydata CF card
many sets of 2100 and 2200 NiMh batteries for the above

Dry

Contax 159mm, 35mm SLR
various Tamron lenses
Nikon battery pack Speed-flash

Considering going to a DSLR for above and below water in the near future (as soon as my wallet can take it).

Used the C5050 extensively in Bonaire last week will post some pictures as soon as I have a chance to start going through them. Some of them are good, some are not so good to down-right bad. This is a product of the operator not the camera (I appear to do much better on land than in the water). The housing performed extremely well down to the recreational limits, as did the strobes as everything stayed dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom