• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What kind of shark is this?

Discussion in 'Shark Forum!' started by hammet, May 15, 2018.

1. RyanT

RyanT Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    +1. Even though it wasn't a marine predator, ask Roy Horn how that worked out for him.

Altamira likes this.
  2. Gamecock

Gamecock Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Definitely a Tiger. Persnickety lil devil.

3. RockiesFan

RockiesFan Solo Diver

Over my four decades of life, I have compiled a long list of bad ideas, some through personal experience, some via intuition. I would say that hand feeding sharks makes the top 10.

4. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I saw the entire video on YouTube it is definitely a tiger.

5. BeerNye

BeerNye Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
  6. HeliMech

HeliMech Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Feeding sharks seems ridiculous. I have zero interest in any feeding of wild animals of any kind.

But this happens a lot. People pay to do this stuff all the time. Like me this November. I'm going for a week on Blackbeard's.

Hopefully they skip the incontinence inducing Tiger Beach. They do one "shark dive" though where they chum for sharks.

I kinda wish they weren't doing it. Not out of fear but just a general dislike of the idea of any wild animal being conditioned to associate me with having food...and then being confused or disappointed when it finds out I don't have any.

aquacat8 and RyanT like this.
  7. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Sharks are having such a bad time with humans killing them off, the last thing they or we need is the creation of conditioned “man eaters”!

8. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Old clip and it keeps getting dredged up for shock reaction regarding Tiger Beach and other shark feeding examples.

I'll say that's an example of what not to do. We get low on the bottom so that we don't have to guard as much personal space; you don't want to be standing upright with sharks down low and you never let the shark just bump you like that. There's a very real chance they could decide to do a test bite if there's no pushback.

Caveeagle and drrich2 like this.
  9. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Defending the practice, halcyondaze?

10. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Meh. I don't like shark feed dives, but I won't condemn them either. I've been harassed by sharks when I've been hunting since 1969, before any organized feeding dives. It's instinctual for them. They aren't mammals and extrapolating their behavior based on how bears react is not supported. UM has actually studied them and find that there's no correlation. I believe them. So vote with your fins. You like shark dives? If you play with sharks, then you might get bit.

Caveeagle and drrich2 like this.