What kind of sickness keeps you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I'm curious,

Other than completely not being able to breathe from a sinus cold or similar, are their any sicknesses or conditions which either prevent you from diving or you would recommend as a total 100% counter indication to diving?

So...question in a different manner...when should I use better judgement and decide not to dive even though I really want to? What conditions really make the decision for me?

Stuff intestinal...vomitting. Fevers...loss of tolerance to cold...Acute hangovers, headache nausea and all of the above

How soon after chemo can you dive again?

hi connora,

It depends on the kind of chemotherapy you are recieving. I am recieving bleomycin which is currently a contra-indication to ever diving again. This is for a great part due to the fact that they do not know how long lung damage persists. I have heard of people diving and doing fine. That is why I am still active in finding information and maybe solutions. I recommend that you post another question on the board (start a thread maybe) and be specific about the kind of medication you are recieving.
I hope you will get to dive again real soon! In the case of bleomycin, I would be interested in sharing information with you.
Good luck!

subq

While I am not in the medical field, I am currently a Hodgkins Stage IV survivor AND diver. My treatment was 6 cycles of ABVD in 2010. My post PFT and CT tests were good and told the doctor I am going diving. Been on 4 Aggressor trips, doing all the dives WITH Nitrox 32% to 34%. Deepest to date is 115ft. BTW, during treatment I formed blood clots in the lungs.

My advice to those who have received bleomycin is to do the obvious checks but go diving and have fun! I even talked to DAN and they stated after 6 months (assuming all else ok) one should be good (including a chamber ride if needed).

To those in the medical field, thank you. But update your websites that state no diving, period; and please stop scaring folks from diving. There have been no recorded diving incidents from bleomycin and diving.

This is a 10 year old thread, magically brought back to life.

However, the sickness that keeps me from diving happens when I look at my bank balance, it makes me sick.:D

Pneumonia seems to have a chilling effect on my dive activity.

I had a friend who felt much better while diving in a weightless state while she was dying from cancer. She took a trip to the Galapagos a month before she died.

If I was diagnosed with a fatal disease I would want to take one more dive trip, a check by a box on the bucket list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom