What kind of Spadefish is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I took this last year in Fiji. Looking through the new Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific it looks to be a Spadefish,except that the tail on my fish is mostly dark whereas the others are light or a single stripe.

TIA

Spadefish Video Clip

Well at least I am not feeling dumb about no knowing the fish type. Any ideas on where else I could go with this? Maybe its a new species the "Otter Spadefish" ?

I know they are usually much taller, but some species are fairly roundish. Orbicularis type, although I think the Orbicularis has different coloring.

In fact, an ailing subject of this species

http://digilander.libero.it/scubabob/Aldabra/bat2.html

might be off color and look similar to your sighting. The Florida Museum mentions 2 Platax Orbicularis being found off the keys.

Just looked at them together. It almost has to be a lognfin bat, or Platax Tiera. It is probably off color due to illness or incompatible water chemistry.

I had considered a Batfish at first...in fact when I was there, thats what I thought it was....and promptly forgot. When I went back to the book, I found the Spadefish. I'll do some more digging.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom