What kind of weight for BC and where to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SULLIVAN2049

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased a Mares BCD "MARES Syncro-Tech BCD w/ Scuba Pro Air II Inflator/Reg with the weight pockets, but with no weights. Does anyone know what kind of weight I need to be looking for that will fit and where I might find them? Thx John

I have been doing some research of my own and while I haven't answered my original question of what type of weight the Mares came with from the factory there appears to be a multitude of replacement weights that work with the "soft lead shot" bags being the most adaptable to these type of weight systems.

There's not really a "factory" weight for most BC's. Soft weights will work, as will hard weights that will fit inside the pockets and still allow them to be removed easily. I doubt it came with any weight from the factory originally.

If it's a back-inflate model and has the rear weight pockets, start with a 60/40 weight distribution f/r.

Is this an old model? a quick google search returned no pictures. If it is an older model, you may want to get it serviced at a Mares dealer before using it.

This may not apply to your BC, but some Mares models with the removable weight pockets had issues with them falling out in rough conditions. A friend who had an older Mares lost a pocket on two different dives over about a 3 year span. Hers had sort of a red plastic retaining clip. And I found one on the bottom off Roatan last year - looked in like new condition.

John,

You can use any format of weight you want. Soft weights will lend to leach, stain and pollute. Hard weights will last forever. Vinyl coated will pack a little fuller.

I do suggest only loading your BC with the weights needed on your upper body to achieve trim and to put the rest on a weight belt or harness. Should you even need to get out of your BC underwater you will be happy to have the weight on your person. Also when handling the BC, especially if you need to pass it up to a boat it won't be absurdly heavy.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom