What kinda water are you freediving into?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holdingmybreath

Contributor
Reaction score
clear as a bell... I can see over 100'.

YEah, I wish... I shoulda continued the list... down to what I dive in.. blackness...

Freshwater quarry mostly. It's a treat when I get to do some blue water diving. Did some deep stuff (100+) in Lake Travis/Austin and let me tell you it gets dark, fast!

Freshwater so far, viz is generally great, depths are shallow (mostly). I would love to do some saltwater dives if conditions were good.

Freshwater, everything from 3' viz to 100'+. Quarries, St Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, Georgian Bay (brrrrr). Some current (drift freediving is a BLAST!) some still. Some warm(ish), some water right down to 32°F and drifting through ice chunks on the surface.

I didn't mean to start this thread... I was thinkin' about it but didn't mean too. I musta hit the post button while I was half asleep last night... a well.. That "clear as a bell - I can see over 100' " was supposed to be the first of a long list of choices of what conditions you might dive in. I know here it gets dark REAL early! but that's what lights are for eh?

Mostly Southern California ocean diving, which can range from <5 ft off beaches to 60 ft+ around the Channel Islands. Night freediving is a lot of fun, too.

Frank O:
Mostly Southern California ocean diving, which can range from <5 ft off beaches to 60 ft+ around the Channel Islands. Night freediving is a lot of fun, too.
Yeah, especially if you take your HID. Just don't do what I did, remember to remove a block or two of wait off your weight belt as the things are more nagatively buoyant than they seem while on scuba.................. :p

FreeFloat:
Yeah, especially if you take your HID. Just don't do what I did, remember to remove a block or two of wait off your weight belt as the things are more nagatively buoyant than they seem while on scuba.................. :p
I borrowed a friend's handheld Light Cannon for a night freedive once, but I haven't used my canister HID light while freediving yet. I'd probably have to rig an additional belt to mount the canister on, as I don't think it'd fit on the weight harness I usually use when freediving.

The time I used the Light Cannon was a couple of years ago when a bunch of my scuba buddies were going on an all-night boat trip to Catalina to hunt lobsters when the season opened. I decided to go and freedive. Hauling around a bright light near the surface, I got pelted by tons of small baitfish apparently attracted by the light. It got quite bad for a while. Also was shadowed for a while by a juvenile electric ray that liked to hang about 15 feet behind me. Every time I stopped it stopped, and then when I'd move it'd move.

I have a light cannon as well, love it, but oddly enough I have never been freediving with it. I generally mount a light to my mask and keep the hands free.

I wear a typical rubber weight belt while freediving so in my case my Helios canister (the smaller one) just slid right on. Whenever I wasn't actively using the light I tucked a loop of the light cord down through my belt, just like I stow it while on scuba, except that I pulled the loop all the way down so that the Goodman handle was right near the belt. That way, it was out of my way but not dangling.

It was a great dive. Although I'm perfectly fine on scuba in no-viz, for some reason I get qualms about freediving into places I can't see..... it's what's kept my PB depth at 70' though I'm perfectly capable of deeper - once it gets too murky/dark I tend to turn the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom