what kinds of jacks are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as it so happens there were pickled juvenile specimens of all the "contenders" in our teaching lab, so I could do firsthand comparisons.

African Pompano and Permit: bodies too deep, even at juvenile stage.

Blue Runner: excessive musculature, caudal peduncle too narrow and elongate. The head's too long, and so are the pectorals.

Florida Pompano: it's like I took one of the critters in my aquarium and stuck it in the same jar as the pickled specimens. They're spitting images anatomically.

I double-checked with specimens collected from Galveston in 1968 and 1981, respectively. One of the 1968 critters was twice as big as the live ones I've got, and there's a distinct deepening of the body taking place. Still not as deep as Permit at even smaller sizes, but the African Pompano we've got is a close ringer.

Thanks for all your help guys!

archman:
Florida Pompano: it's like I took one of the critters in my aquarium and stuck it in the same jar as the pickled specimens. They're spitting images anatomically.
Thanks for the grunt work Archman.
All this pompano talk has me hungry :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom