What makes a "good" DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachman

Reaction score
OK guys and gals, I've been around this board enough to get a fair idea of who a lot of you are and what you do. I'm asking this question as a customer most the time now, been there and done that in my past as an avocation, may do more of it in the future now that I'm retired, but I'm not sure that my past is the best experience now. "Times change?"

If I get back "in the pool" (to use a pun), what do I have to look forward to from the inside folks earning a living? Am I going to have to change my attitude as a customer, or won't I be a "customer" any more?

I'm taking all the refresher stuff now....which frankly makes me ask the questions above. I thought I knew what I wanted, not so sure now.

Deciding whether to remain a customer, or participate again.

HELP ! !

Hmmm... trying to read between the lines here... if I'm right, you're not exactly 100% satisfied with what you're getting in the way of a "refresher." Whether it's because you're not getting anything substantive or you're being asked to change the way you like to do things isn't clear.. could I indulge you to get a bit more specific? I'd hate to have *anyone* drop out...
Rick

Hey Beachman!

Are you sayin you are thinkin about getting back into the pro side of diving again (ie DMing or Instring?) If this is the case, I would say, yes times change (and I was around during the era of drysuits with no BC's, J valves with no pressure gauges and 1 x 2nd stage and so on and so forth) Are times a changin, oh yeah, for the better?,again a big hearty yes. Diving is now a major recreational sport no longer looked on as a extreme activity only for a few that are robust enough to withstand rigourous military style type training. Maybe we should have kept some of that, but really who wants to spend their time and hard earned money on something they have to work hard at! With the sport being mainstream it has to cater to mainstream wishes or will die (and everyone will buy scooters or hoola hoops!) Without the sport being what it is today we would not be enjoying the new tech that has gone into eqpt R&D and manuf (ie computer development) that is changing the way we dive. Has the relativley new popularity of scuba attracted some not so pleasant operators, Yes, but that comes with everything and the consumer will weed these people out. Does it mean that everyone is willing to sit down and listen to the good ole days?, no, It has been my experience people want what's important to them (skills) not stories of diving conquests, perhaps over a refreshment apres dive would be the appropriate time. Not sure if these remarks answer the question, if not could you clarify your question alittle.

Beachman,
Undoubtly you have been diving for quite some time, as I can tell from your past posts.

The question is can you accept the changes that have been made in the way scuba is taught now as compared to the way you learned? I myself am in the process of getting my DM. But don't know if I will ever use it. Unless I find an instructor like Walter or Mario or the others here on this board. The instructor I learned with is now "retired" from instructing.

The requirements now are a lot less now than when you started diving. Some think this is good. Personally I think we are headed for trouble, especially in this sue-happy society we live in. We send people (not divers) into the deep with minimal skills, all for the sake of a buck.

Head em up, move em out, Rawhide.

... I'm starting to sound like Walter.

Don

Don,
Thank you for the compliment (I think) you would be more than welcome to come on out and dive with me and my friends out here. Perhaps it'll coinside with a class I'm running, and I can introduce you to all my oohing and ahhing students whom will be admiring the Leopard Print Westuit you own... LOL! Do you still have that hood with the Horns in it? LOL!

Mario :D

To anyone with some info!

If you dont know already I am currently going through the DM text book as I am (or was) hoping to train for my DM certification. This was my plan from when I first started diving however 3 days ago it go completely crippled.
Ok, i understand I am young to do my DM course however just cause i am young doesnt mean I am not intellegent enough to do it - infact being in education can be a bonus (no offence to the more mature on the board) but i am still use to learning etc so it helps the fact that i am already on the wave length. The best example i can give is down to the fact that when I did my Medic and Rescue course i did it with my dad and i found the learning side a lot easier as it sunk in my quicker, however he found the physical challange of the course easier cause i am only small so trying to pull a 13 stone man onto the back of a high boat for me is a tad more tricky (and quite amusing to watch!)
Anyhow, i just completely strayed there - sorry!
My point is, I wanted to train with PADI but when looking at their web-page (which I do quite regularly yet never looked at the DM course info) i found a restriction on age. Fair enough that they may not feel us youngsters are mature enough but they cant use the exuse that they feel we dont have enough experience like i was told via email from someone at PADI headoffice. They are getting babies in the water these days with programs such as BubbleMakers!
Are there restrictions in other organisations??? If so what are they?
This has fired me up a bit cause PADI doesnt seem to be dishing out relevant answers.
-x-abby-x-
(The restriction is 18 - and i am 18 in 3 months and 14 days so it isnt a major problem for me but for others who could have been diving since they were 12 - i can see why they'd be a tad pee'd!)

.......enter into a contract. As a DM, you'll have a contract with everyone in your charge.

Beachman, please reword your post, I still haven't figured out what you are asking.

A good DM should be able to 1.handle a boat. 2. prevent an accident. 3. perform a rescue. 4. ties knots. 5. evaluate the weather. 6. call roll. Unfortunately, these days you also have to be able to baby sit divers.

Walter

Abby,
It's admirable that you want to be a DM so badly. The problem is that quarter year and some change to be able to do it. The age of 18 wasn't just pulled out of a hat. Since you become a professional as a DM, (and you can get sued) you need to be of age.

We can all relate to the frustration you feel right now. We've all had to wait for something we felt was totally lame before. But look on the bright side, at least you have more time to study. Have you gone through the encyclopedia of recreation diving front and back in book form and on CD-Rom? If not the CD will do wonders for your retention of the more dull subjects. Heck you could kill a few more weeks right there. Hop on a few boat trips and volunteer to shadow what the DM does. Do some grunt work in trade for free boat rides in the future.

3.5 months is nothing, It'll pass quickly!

Sea you in the Deep Blue,

Agree totally with Mario (oh WiseOne of the Abyss...or something like that! *grins*) With PADI, and other organizations I'm sure, its more the "sue" thing. As a DiveMaster, you will get your insurance through PADI, and they can't insure anyone under 18 years of age.

I don't think it really has anything to do with knowledge or comfort in the water. I've known 15 year olds that took open water with their parents, and performed better than their parents both in the water and on the tests. Like you said, it might be because they are used to learning new things and their minds are more open to new ideas.

As Mario said, follow DiveMasters and see what they do. If you can, go with a few open water classes (as an extra pair of eyes) and practice your skills. The better you can do these things, the better DiveMaster you will be. DiveMaster class isn't like the other PADI classes...you can't do it in a few days. It usually does take a month or more to get it finished. The biggest problem I am having is the physics (never was good at math...thats why I majored in English!)

One question I do have...do you have to be 18 to start the DiveMaster program? Or just to be certified as DiveMaster?

ScubaBunny, Yeah unfortunatly the book says that you have to be 18 before you start. Not before your certified. Bummer!

Your Primary Regulator,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom